Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hikui treatment tip

Daihonmei
    Hi Steve, Hikkui is more the generation of red cells within the epidermis and dermis layer. It typically begins as a lightening of color along with some very microscopic areas of blood. You can also see minor infection setting in. The red plump areas of beni eventually sink in and that area of epidermis collapses. Almost like a boil or sunburn might. Here is a picture of hikkui---

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Hi Steve, Hikkui is more the generation of red cells within the epidermis and dermis layer. It typically begins as a lightening of color along with some very microscopic areas of blood. You can also see minor infection setting in. The red plump areas of beni eventually sink in and that area of epidermis collapses. Almost like a boil or sunburn might. Here is a picture of hikkui---
    This usually happens to scaled GoSanke right? Because I remember some hobbyist said he has Hikkui on his Doitsu Kohak.

Daihonmei
    I've never seen Hikkui on doitsu? I have seen beni break up and disappear on mamy a doitsu however. JR

I've never seen Hikkui on doitsu? I have seen beni break up and disappear on mamy a doitsu however. JR
    Was curious on this one...Because from what I remember, it did look kinda weird like the skin was peeling off...oh well...

Daihonmei
    here's an advanced stage of hikkui

here's an advanced stage of hikkui
    Gross...I think what people need to learn is what to look for....not many times I have seen people spend alot of money on fish with early stages of Hikkui...

probably tough to learn to spot fish with early stage of hikkui since average koi keepers don't exactly run into this problem often. maybe the dealers can help weed out these fish since they deal with more fish than anyone else. hey! I allow to dream, right?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Gross...I think what people need to learn is what to look for....not many times I have seen people spend alot of money on fish with early stages of Hikkui...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    probably tough to learn to spot fish with early stage of hikkui since average koi keepers don't exactly run into this problem often. maybe the dealers can help weed out these fish since they deal with more fish than anyone else. hey! I allow to dream, right?

Steve
    Well you see this problem more on koi that have been here in the states(at the dealers) for awhile and on some koi coming from Japan. To most it is easy to spot early stages of Hikkui, remember that added say of consistancy of Beni? But most early stages of Hikkui can be seen on Nisai or Sansai, look of shallow yellowing patches on the beni plate and it will give you a hint on what you will have to deal with down the road if you buy it.

Good tip on early detection, Tony! thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Well you see this problem more on koi that have been here in the states(at the dealers) for awhile and on some koi coming from Japan. To most it is easy to spot early stages of Hikkui, remember that added say of consistancy of Beni? But most early stages of Hikkui can be seen on Nisai or Sansai, look of shallow yellowing patches on the beni plate and it will give you a hint on what you will have to deal with down the road if you buy it.

Daihonmei
    Right , yellow depressions left AFTER the beni has first swollen and areas of swelling rupture. That is why I posted that black and white photo. If you look closely, you can see sections of the beni plate building with fluid and forming areas of swelling. The disease is within the color cells and they are swelling with either an immune system response or a malfunction of normal cellular activity. This is why to date, observers suspect virus, rikettsia, cancer or some genetic component of cellular death. JR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast