Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hikui treatment tip

hikui treatment tip

I am getting too many connections error when trying to read koivet so hopefully someone can give me some pointer here. my maruyama is getting hikui (at least that what I think based on the sympton of easy peeling skin). it started out with a finger tip size spot on the head and look like it's slowing spreading out. the affected area is slowing getting bigger. I can see the some skin is about to peel off around the affected area.

assuming my diagnostic is correct. I am looking for some successfully story on how to treat this fish. it's about 12 inches long.

Steve

Steve . . .

Here's the link to Duncan Griffiths' thread on hikui treatment:

Hikui

There's more to a hikui diagnosis than easy peeling skin -- and I'd be surprised to see it on a 12" fish. Photos would help.

Good luck,

Daihonmei
    You know, I'm always amazed at how many people have a cure for a disease that no one knows what causes it and start off with the statement that it is incurable!
    You can treat the lesions but there is no cure. If a fish is really showing hikkui at such a young age, the prognosis is very poor indeed. Sorry .
    Interestingly enough, no one has tried attacking the problem from within? I'd love to experiment with some compounds that work from the bloodstream out into skin layers- several meds of this description. JR

So many treatments suggested, and so many different experiences with them. Seems that keeping the fish in a mudpond is the only 'treatment' that seems to work more often than not. ...A local club member has had success using a prescription ear drop medication intended to treat inner ear infection. Who knows? Maybe it was the ear drops. Maybe something else.

Thanks for the link, Don.

here are some photos I took after got home from work. didn't get any sun light so image quality is kinda poor but you can get an idea. I think it's hikui but not 100% sure. originally I thought it got a small scratch which would be hard to happen in my pond since I don't have anything in there that remotely can create such of injury. when I first notice the spot. it was about half of the current size. the fish seems healthy and eat well just like normal.

thanks guys,

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hikui treatment tip-214_1471.jpg   hikui treatment tip-hikui.jpg  

Jumbo
    steve, touch it with yourfinger, if it feels like sandpaper, and looks uneven, then it maybe hikui. Try steroid, or any thing used to treat skin problem it hikui. I have try many Rx med on a sakai, and nothing work.

stan

steroid? man, I got talk to Barry to get some of that. J/K! can't help it.

what about that billion liquid? has anyone try it yet? I want to give it a try but not sure if any local stores carry it.

Steve

Daihonmei
    No I don't think that is real hikkui. It could be a couple of things-

1) physical damage due to flashing or if you have freshwater coming in- a rub of some kind.
    2) lifting of slime coat. Congestion, parasites or local slime coat infection.
    3) pure parasite activity

So first do a scraping and see if there is costia or chilodonella or trichodina.
    Then if not, do a salt dip. Or use a mild salt solution and bathe the area topically.
    It is a good idea to try the antibiotic oinment ( kenalog ) with steroid as it is best for treating epidermal infections.

I'd only use billion liquid after these other things have been tried. And remember, if you use billion you need to 'attach it' with the heat from a hair blower/dryer. JR

Thanks, JR.

will try as suggested.

this is a relief.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    No I don't think that is real hikkui. It could be a couple of things-

1) physical damage due to flashing or if you have freshwater coming in- a rub of some kind.
    2) lifting of slime coat. Congestion, parasites or local slime coat infection.
    3) pure parasite activity

So first do a scraping and see if there is costia or chilodonella or trichodina.
    Then if not, do a salt dip. Or use a mild salt solution and bathe the area topically.
    It is a good idea to try the antibiotic oinment ( kenalog ) with steroid as it is best for treating epidermal infections.

I'd only use billion liquid after these other things have been tried. And remember, if you use billion you need to 'attach it' with the heat from a hair blower/dryer. JR

diag tips??

JR,

for educational purpose, what would the symptoms be like for hikui? I thought the skin appears to "peel off" is the symptoms of hikui. can you point out what missing from the photos suggested it was something else that causing the problem? sorry, I have to ask so I can do a better diag in future. tia!

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast