Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?

Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?

Has any one heard of an algeside being incorperated in pool liners? Or has anyone heard of anyone loosing koi to these liners? We have used 2 Intex pools as winter homes for our koi and have had good luck. We've also set them up as temporary homes during pond rebuilds.

Walt

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturesCall View Post
    Has any one heard of an algeside being incorperated in pool liners? Or has anyone heard of anyone loosing koi to these liners? We have used 2 Intex pools as winter homes for our koi and have had good luck. We've also set them up as temporary homes during pond rebuilds.

Walt
    I am not familiar with them at all. How do they set up?

Your club has a great website.

Some liners intended for pools reportedly contain algaecides harmful to fish. Best to check first.

I have never heard of a problem with Intex pools. I have used Intex pools myself and know of others who have also with no ill effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    I am not familiar with them at all. How do they set up?

Your club has a great website.
    Thanks Russell, I'm the clubs webmaster.

Re: The Intex pool. It's 10' metal framed pool. Sets up quickly. We made a couple modifications to accomodate our needs. It holds roughly 1200 gallons. NOt knowing if there is an algeaside, we took the precaution of using Potassium Permangamate and treated the liner first.

1: we placed tape over the openings at the top of the frame so our koi would not be tempted to jump out.

2: I added a bulkhead and retrofitted a bottom drain. If you do this...place it higher than I did. I didn't account for the liner stretching. Also make sure the hole you cut will stretch over the bulkhead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?-1-20bulkhead-20outside-1-.jpg   Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?-1-20bulkhead-20inside-1-.jpg   Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?-1-20indoor-20tank-1-.jpg   Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?-bulkhead-1-.jpg   Algeaside incorperated in Pool liners?-bear-201-1-.jpg  

One comment I'll add. don't use the kiddy-version of Intex framed pools for anything important. I bought a couple on Ebay and set one up as a Q-tank. Luckly it sat with just water for a week before I was planning to add fish because the seam where the wall connects to the bottom ruptured. Those pools are much more cheaply made than the larger frame models though. The liners are very thin and I guess it could not stand up to the water pressure for that long.

Several mfg have begun using an algaecide in their liner treatment, but I'm not sure about Intex. We use them for show tanks at the OKC show, but they are several years old so the issue wouldn't apply.
    Speaking for myself, there is no material I would trust without a good "pickling" before introducing fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    One comment I'll add. don't use the kiddy-version of Intex framed pools for anything important. I bought a couple on Ebay and set one up as a Q-tank. Luckly it sat with just water for a week before I was planning to add fish because the seam where the wall connects to the bottom ruptured. Those pools are much more cheaply made than the larger frame models though. The liners are very thin and I guess it could not stand up to the water pressure for that long.

We tried the one with the inflatable ring first. I felt too uncomfortable with it. We then tried the metal framed version. The material is built better with fiber reinforcement on the sides. The bottom was thin like you mentioned.

I'm curious how this algeaside effects our koi? Does it have the capability to leach into the water?

Daihonmei
    This is a tough subject and often the urban legend gets mixed in with the facts. There are four products that come up regularly that lead to the subject of poisoning and often the stories cross from product to product.
    The products are:

roof liner
    swimming pool liner
    matting material used for airconditioner filters
    Treated wood

The issues associated with air conditioning filters is a fungal poison. This makes sense and is easy to understand.
    The issues involving 'liners' is harder to nail down as there are several answers.
    Roof liners often have mica dust on them so they do not bind when folded or rolled. It will kill fish. In addition 'some' roofing material also has a mold retard compound in them. In addition they can have a gas that leeches from the material for a time.
    Pool liners are made from several compounds and can also have a chemical treatment for mold. They can also give off a gas initially.

So it is very had to make a hard fast rule about all these materials. And reports over the years porve this in that one person reports dead fish within days of using one of these products and others who use it swear it is safe.
    I agree with Larry in that you need to lay out any of these products in the driveway and scub them down with a brush and bleach and then rinse them and treat them for the chlorine residue. I would also fill and allow these materials to stand for at least a week ( and maybe even a 50% water change) before adding valuable pets. It is always a good idea to add tester fish for a week before adding the good ones- better safe than sorry. JR

Tosai
    I know someone who has been using the Intex type ponds for several years now with no problems. It is my understanding that back a few years there was algicide type treatment in some above ground pool liners but that the manufacturers stopped this practice. That said, I agree with James and others, best to be cautious and you could call the manufacturer 800 number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast