Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's goin to Japan this Oct?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I am meeting Joel from Pan Intercorp there, and have an invitation from Mr. Mano to drop by Dainichi. I shudder to think about the damage I could do there!

I plan to see as many others as I can in the few days I have. My first visit to Niigata....have only been to the Hiroshima breeders before.
    Chris, your mountain greenhouse pond will easily hold another great koi or two. With the help of Joel and your keen eye I'm sure you will find another GC ready for stiff competition next September. Your going to have a blast visiting Dainichi as well as some of the other breeders in the area. Dainichi and Sakai of Hiroshima is like strolling through some mighty fine jewelry stores! Have a great time and be sure to post pictures of your selections.

Tategoi
    You are a bad influence Dan!

If it is big enough to win GC next year, and from Dainichi, I can't afford it

Maybe a tosai with one mangled fin.....

Lee
    Sansai

Bamboo forest....of breathtaking beauty

My favourite city in all of Japan, as most of you know - is Kyoto.

It is without a doubt, the 'ichiban' of Japanese cities with it's cultural interest sites, temples, royal palaces, gardens, and 'shopping'...as well as, it is the site of one of the most breathtaking 'bamboo forest' walks (which is within minutes of the Moss Gardens - perhaps my favourite garden in all of Japan).

The 'bamboo forest' is a simple gravel'walk-through'....which will take the basic strolling visitor fifteen to thirty minutes to traverese and the Moss Garden(s) along with the requisite forty minute temple chant and prayer required by it's 'guardian monks' normally takes Sheila and myself between two and three hours (and, I have been thru these same gardens no less than five times).

The 'bamboo forest' is open to all and it does not require a reservation. However, as with most of the popular temple and royal gardens - a reservation is required (and, is certainly recommended).

However, in my opinon - that after a morning rainfall, there is no more beautiful garden anywhere in Japan (perhaps, in my opinion - there is none more beautiful in the world) than the garden in Kyoto known as the Moss Garden.

There are many - many reasons to visit Kyoto, as well. Not the least of which is a Sunday stroll through your desired bamboo gardens...however, a PRIVATE hand poled boat ride taken before on the nearby tributary is a fitting prelude to a later stroll through the bamboo.

For those who have seen the 'Chinese film' of Flying Daggers...will know the difference between a bamboo garden and a bonzai garden. The bamboo garden to which I refer above is exactly like that seen in the relatively recent Flying Dagger cinamatic release...

(which happens to also be one of my favourite films...)

Choosing the right hotel or ruyokan in Kyoto is more important than any other location in all of Japan...thus, choose very carefully. Unlike elsewhere in Japan, in Kyoto, you shall receive in services and in location 'exactly' what you pay for...nonetheless, enjoy!

Kyoto, for me, is Japan.

With warmest wishes for a safe journey,

Lee Aronfeld
    Grand Cayman

Lee
    Sansai

Bamboo forest....of breathtaking beauty

My favourite city in all of Japan, as most of you who know me - is 'Kyoto'.

Kyoto is without any doubt, the 'ichiban' of Japanese cities - with it's unmatched cultural interest sites, temples, royal palaces, gardens, and excellent 'shopping', museums, and 'Gion' district...as well as, it is the site of one of the most breathtaking 'bamboo forest' walks (which is within minutes of the Moss Gardens - perhaps my favourite garden in all of Japan).

The 'bamboo forest' to which I refer is a simple gravel'walk-through'....which will take the basic strolling visitor fifteen to thirty minutes to traverese (even when stopping to have someone take your picture) and the Moss Garden(s) (which is a must 'visit') along with the requisite forty minute temple chant and prayer-time required by it's 'guardian monks' normally takes Sheila and myself between two and three hours (and, I have been thru these same gardens no less than five times and I will assuredly go again and again).

Indeed, the 'bamboo forest' is open to the public and it does not require a reservation. However, as with most all of the more popular temple and royal gardens - a reservation is required (and, is certainly recommended by this 'poster').

However, in my opinion - that after an early morning rainfall, there is no more beautiful garden anywhere in Japan (let me add - perhaps, in my opinion - there is none more beautiful garden anywwhere in the world) than the gardens in Kyoto known as the Moss Garden.

There are so many reasons to visit Kyoto. Not the least of which is a Sunday stroll through the desired 'bamboo garden' walk-through...however, if you also include a PRIVATE hand poled boat ride before on the nearby tributary it is a fitting prelude to a later leisure-like stroll through the nearby bamboo forest.

For those who have been awed by the beautiful 'Chinese film', Flying Daggers...will know the difference between a bamboo garden and a bonzai garden.

The bamboo garden to which I above refer is exactly like that which is seen in the relatively recent released Flying Dagger cinamatic masterpiece...

(which happens to also be one of my favourite films...)

As a word of good advice for anyone not having previously been to Kyoto - choosing the right hotel or ruyokan in Kyoto is also in my opinion more important than any other lodging location in all of Japan...

Thus, I would advise that you choose very carefully.

Unlike elsewhere in Japan, in Kyoto you shall receive in services and (more importantly) in LOCATION 'exactly' what you pay for...

Nonetheless, enjoy!

As for most frequent travellers to Japan, Kyoto for me, is Japan.

With my personal warmest wishes for a safe and memorable journey,

Lee Aronfeld
    Grand Cayman

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    We will leave for Niigata on the 18th of October and leave on the 25th of October.
    17 Days and counting;

Koi Kichi's flying in for another Grand Harvest in Mushigame. The Breeders clients are anticipating what their koi look like after a summers growth in mud ponds located in the mountains. There is nothing like it for koi kichi types, just like Christmas with people from all over the world enjoying their passion together at havest time.

An auction is held with outstanding koi up for grabs with those attending. The auction alone is worth the trip but along with the harvest, well its just over the top.

Anyone else ramping up for this event?

Let's see, why is Dan so excited?

Could it be because one of his koi is in the #1 Mud pond of Toshio Sakai?
    Ummmmmmm

Shila, her mom, Ray Armstrong, and I will all be there.....can't wait

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    Shila, her mom, Ray Armstrong, and I will all be there.....can't wait
    It's going to be one hell of a party!!!!!!!

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Could it be because one of his koi is in the #1 Mud pond of Toshio Sakai?
    Ummmmmmm
    It could be just that. Sadly though, Dan is leaving Sharon alone with Kari and I. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    It could be just that. Sadly though, Dan is leaving Sharon alone with Kari and I. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
    Truth be known, I'm the one with the jittery hand during the auction. With Sharon attending, along with Judy, I can rest assured they will only observe and not partake in wild auction behavior.

Seems I remember a rather tall dude (Russ) from California exhibiting jittery arm behavior in last years auction as well. I'm not sure how many koi he ended up with but he sure walked away with a bundle of koi and his bundle of money ended up in some Japanesse bank or sock, not sure which! Of course Kari will be along this time, will bring some common sense and restraint to the table, just like Sharon and Judy!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast