Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost one this morning...

Lost one this morning...

Had to put down an 11" Maruten Sanke this morning. Ovarian tumor. She was still swimming well enough to make her difficult to catch until today, but now she has lost her buoyancy and I picked her out of the pond without even using a net.
    I really hated to lose her as her Sanke mother was taken by a bird last year, and she was the only Sanke from that spawn we kept. Now I have to hope that at least one of the Sanke from this years spawn turns out halfway decent...

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Had to put down an 11" Maruten Sanke this morning. Ovarian tumor. She was still swimming well enough to make her difficult to catch until today, but now she has lost her buoyancy and I picked her out of the pond without even using a net.
    I really hated to lose her as her Sanke mother was taken by a bird last year, and she was the only Sanke from that spawn we kept. Now I have to hope that at least one of the Sanke from this years spawn turns out halfway decent...

Sorry about that! I haven't lost a koi in a while, and I hope I don't. The only import I ever got was a 5" ginrin bekko. For some reason, after 6 months in the pond, it couldn't close it's mouth. Must have been a tumor. I couldn't catch it for the life of me (around 3 years ago). One morning, my wife found it dead.

Hope you get a nice one from your spawn!

There are a few I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for.
    Crummy pix, but the first one is fairly decent. I wish the hi plates were bigger toward the tail, but there is some underlying sumi that may come up to fill in the blanks. Only time will tell.

Larry . . .

Sorry to hear that -- and good luck with your tosai.

Larry sooo sorry to hear that .....
    Lawanna

Thanks for the sympathy guys. She wasn't ever going to be a show stopper, but a sentimental favorite nonetheless. This years younglings make for a nice distraction.

Hey Lawanna,
    When are you going to post some pictures of your last batch of babies???
    We need some decent looking Okie Koi babies just to show these guys that it can be done
    Not Niigata, but not too shabby the last I looked

Bummer Larry.

Well that's a bummer, Larry. Sorry to hear you lost that Sanke, especially the sentimental part. I'm still not over my Autumn.......so I know you're going to miss this one for a good long while.

Those fingerlings sure look interesting and will be fun to watch grow up. Were they from the Sanke you just lost?

Marie

Larry, I'm sorry for you loss. It's tough to lose one...

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    Well that's a bummer, Larry. Sorry to hear you lost that Sanke, especially the sentimental part. I'm still not over my Autumn.......so I know you're going to miss this one for a good long while.

Those fingerlings sure look interesting and will be fun to watch grow up. Were they from the Sanke you just lost?

Marie
    Be they expensive or be they homegrown, it is never fun to lose one you've become attached to. This one was from a previous spawn and I was looking forward to seeing what she might produce when she came of age, but ain't gonna happen.
    The majority of the Fingerling Koi we have left are from our Aka Bekko female in my avatar and Kohaku fathers, except the longfins which are from DW's Lonfin daddy. The first one is the best in terms of skin and pattern potential while the others are being kept just to learn from their skin characteristics. Not enough pattern to work with. The Kohaku may turn out, but I'm a bit iffy about the head. The beni on the gills looks a bit thin and ragged.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast