Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Club Rules for Friendship Awards?

Club Rules for Friendship Awards?

Does your club have rules or guidelines for determining which koi should (or should not) be selected for your club's Friendship Award? Hey, inquiring minds want to know.

And rather than continue to hijack Tony's FA thread (which is really about what 'should be,' not 'what is'), I thought I'd start a new thread.

What we've learned so far -- and I'll continue updating this list as other posters chip in. So if you know, if you've been involved, let's hear from you.

ZNA SoCal:
    House Rule: No major winners for any club's Friendship Awards (computer software won't allow entry )

Koi Kichi:
    No major winners

IKONA:
    No written guidelines; no major winners

Atlanta Koi Club:
    No guidelines

ZNA Potomac:
    No guidelines

BKKS:
    Selected variety (variety selected annually)

NVN:
    Unique koi

UK ZNA:
    Best Gin Rin

Oregon Koi & WGS:
    Standing award to best doitsu at BKKS

Greater Louisville K & GFS:
    No guidelines

Northern Midwest ZNA:
    No guidelines

Upper Midwest KC:
    No guidelines; hopefully a good representative of variety, not a top winner and (if possible) belongs to local club
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Friendship awards weren't common in the UK but we got mixed up with ZNA clubs on the continent and after being the recipient of several we followed suit.

About the same time we adopted another ZNA practice of having a Selected Variety at our annual show. So we just sort of married the two together. Whenever one of our members takes a Friendship Trophy to another show we try to award it to the best (in our opinion) representative of our Selected Variety of that year exhibited by a hobbyist. The last part 'the hobbyist' is essential as a lot of continental shows allow dealers to exhibit.

However, on the receiving end.
    We have a standing arrangement with one of our sister clubs - The Oregon Koi & Watergarden Society where we issue their FA to the Best Doitsu.
    The NVN like to give theirs to a Unique Koi and the UK ZNA give one to the best GinRin. Ginrin is judged differently by the ZNA as opposed to the BKKS and this idea was adopted as we thought it might create some interest by the difference but so far there hasn't been any difference worthy of comment.
    Otherwise the reps of the visiting clubs make their choice according to their own criteria.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

The Louisville club(Greater Louisville Koi & Goldfish Society)- no guidelines

The Northern Midwest ZNA- no guidelines

I tend to want to select a larger koi for a friendship award, one that was competing in a very competitive class. My counterparts, especially in the Louisville club tend to want a unique, cute, small fish. I have to bit my lip sometimes.

Thank you Bern and Mike. Very interesting to see how unique some of these guidelines are.

I've updated the master list to add your information.

Ikona

Actually Don the guideline I was told to follow for the IKONA Friendship Award was choose a unique koi that had not already been chosen for an award.

I prefer no rules. Just gives folks more to argue over. Let whoever is in attendance decide and they leave their disagreement behind. ...Perhaps this reflects my dislike for club bylaw issues and the like. Makes the hobby seem too much like work.

Jumbo
    UMKC has no "rules" about awarding FA at our show. Typically if we are giving one, we like to try to select a fish that is a good representation of the variety (any variety), but likely will not receive top honors and hopefully is a fish that belongs to that club as a member. That information is not always known though. Other then that, anything goes.

Sue and mstrseed (it's Bill, isn't it?) . . .

Thanks for weighing in. Master list updated.

Honmei
    OK Don,
    If you are going to misquote/twist what I say, I am going to start calling you HAH!

I said we do not have anything written (in our bylaws) and I seriously doubt that any club does. As a "rule of thumb" IKONA does not award friendship awards to Champions and typically not even Best in Size. Anything else is fair game by those in the club making the choice. OK?

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    OK Don,
    If you are going to misquote/twist what I say, I am going to start calling you HAH!
    Beat me, bite me, burn me -- but don't call me HAH.

(correction to follow soon)