Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos

Thanks for posting for me, Jim. Finally back from Arkansas. (Couldn't find a Bekko anywhere! )

I'm going to post a few comments on each of the 9. Then we'll see at the end of the month how things went after the harvest.

The first one looks like Kohaku, but is out of Goshiki. Check the pecs. She was hatched in 2006. It will be very interesting to see if as nisai she looks like a Kohaku or shows hints of Goshiki. I am hoping she looks like a Kohaku, of course... and looks like a goshiki around age 6.

#2. I got this tosai Shiro in May simply because there was an awesome Shiro harvested last year. If this one develops a body like the one harvested last October, I'll be very happy. But, will she be too stubby, instead?

#3 This odd Kohaku was acquired last Spring as tosai. She has earned the name 'Naqib', which is type of arabic veil. I have lots of questions about this one. This is the one probably least likely to deserve another year in the mud. I say that because Mat did not select her to be in the mud this year. She was in the regular inventory. I wanted her in a mudpond for the season and Mat accomodated her. If her body develops as well as the photo suggests is possible, I'm gonna love her.

#4 is Tattoo, a nisai Sanke. Her unusual face pattern is her outstanding feature. However, the Beni and Sumi are quite good. The big question with her is body development. If her body comes along, she has a great future; but, otherwise, she's just a pretty face. We'll see.

#5 is the one I am thinking about the most. This little tosai grabbed me the moment I saw her pic. I see a great future for her... which just shows how much imagination I have. In October we'll find out.

#6 is "H". The pic shows this Kohaku as nisai just before going back to the mudpond for a third season. I find her pattern uninspired, but balanced. Her best trait is the Beni.... very soft and thick. If she is going to excel, the Beni needs to mature slowly. This harvest she needs to have lengthened quite a bit, while keeping strong, muscled flanks. I'm concerned that she will tend toward being too fat and lack gracefulness.

The seventh one is a future masterpiece chosen for me in 2005 by HenryC and DickB. She was 26" when she went into the mud for her 4th season. She is superior to any koi I ever thought I might own. As long as herons and other vermin stay away, I expect she will be in NJ for quite a few years. My hope is that she reaches 30". And, it is about time for the break in the Hi at the peduncle to become definite.

#8 is an ugly duckling. When she comes out of the mud we'll see if a swan is in the making. She has extraordinarily fine skin. This is actually HenryC's sanke. I'm just holding title to her.

And last is 'Speckles'. This is her third season. It's hard to see past the speckly sumi. But, I like her body and the red pigment is pretty good. I like to think the sumi will begin to consolidate so that by her 5th season we start seeing a real Sanke and not a speckledlygoi.

Just 2 weeks to find out!

Will Quality Koi have a board that has photos of some/all the koi before they went into the mud . I'd like to be able to see before & afters .

I've copied some pics. of koi I like and what ponds they are coming out of for my own learning .

Daihonmei
    won't be long now----

Sansai
    They usually do have a board with the pics of the fish being harvested that session. Pics of customer fish and nisai and older. They are harvesting a lot of fish though. If you have pic's of fish you are interested in looking for you should bring them along, it can be a little hard to find a certain fish, having it in your hand is helpfull. (my opinion as a bystander). Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    won't be long now----
    JR, will you be there?

Daihonmei
    Hi, yep, I'll be there. Sunday and maybe Friday. JR

Hi, yep, I'll be there. Sunday and maybe Friday. JR
    Sunday? The Giants must not be playing

Quote Originally Posted by gjs63 View Post
    They usually do have a board with the pics of the fish being harvested that session. If you have pic's of fish you are interested in looking for you should bring them along

Joyce
    Thank's for the info .

I do plan on bringing my own "Cheat Sheets" of the koi I want to see .

Daihonmei
    Henry, thank goodness for TIVO! NO ONE is to tell me the score on Sunday!!! I will watch it when I get home as if it is a Sunday night game instead of a Sunday 1 pm game!! This means I cannot even listen to the radio on the long drive home Sunday afternoon !
    My tickets are already promised. ) : JR

Henry, thank goodness for TIVO! NO ONE is to tell me the score on Sunday!!! I will watch it when I get home as if it is a Sunday night game instead of a Sunday 1 pm game!! This means I cannot even listen to the radio on the long drive home Sunday afternoon !
    My tickets are already promised. ) : JR
    JR

I won't get to see the 49ers play the Giants either. I'll be taping it as well, but won't get to see us get our butts kicked until next Tuesday.

Enjoy the harvest. Look forward to some pics.

Mike

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast