Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos

Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos

So I thought since a bunch of us have koi in the mud at Quality that it might be fun to post the "before" it went in shots and then at the end of the month after the harvest we can post the "after" shots. So everyone gather up your before photos and get them posted. If anyone wants to guess on how they will have changed over the summer then now is the time to do it. Attached are my 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos-nf06-52.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos-a06-28a.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos-b06-30b.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos-c06-56c.jpg  
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I'll jump in . This is my Kohaku I left behind . First Pic. is from Dec.06' (Date of purchase) , Second Pic. is from April 07' before being placed in the Mud .

Your kohakus Jim should be pretty much the same but bigger. I don't think the showa black will be up as strong as you anticipate. The sanke should also fool you with the expectation that the black that was underneath would be up but it won't be.

what I want you to look for at the end of their nisei growth year is
    1. body shape
    2. quality of beni ( eveness and consistancy )
    3, sumi- quality of what can be seen not amount, and with sanke what black
    that was up at tosai that is now down as it comes out.
    4.skin quality.

these four elements will tell you if they qualify to go back in the mud next year.

This weekend Jim, I'm off to North Idaho Koi keepers for a workshop on Toshio sakai's sanke and showa. Dan olson has 7 koi that have been in his care for 2 years now ( the new marusome stuff!) and we will review the changes and what we might expect next year ( the final year) of the study.

Because these fish have been kept in a cement pond some of the elements
    of finish will be vastly accelerated over the ones coming out of Nisei Koi farm's mud. But for me. I love the excercise of learning, thru cause and effect to see what happens to koi. There is a definite time to have them in mud and a time to have them in cement. the challenge is to know ( if I can borrow slang from a card player's gargon) "when to play em and when to hold em! ".....Good luck with all the folks' koi as they come out of the mud. I hope your dreams are fulfilled!

I know NIKK is planning it's next study group with kohaku and Showa from the magic of the nisei koi farm team work this year.
    Dick Benbow

headache's no headache

as far as his kohaku is concerned. It's nice to see the body shape developing in the first two photos and i think you'll be even more impressed as it exits out of the mud this year. The shoulders will be very powerful. Your beni is really nice and uniform and while it'll be lighter because of stretching there will be no issues or surprises. Hopefully the beni in the dorsal will have pulled down a little more. While the pattern seems quite simple, the bigger this koi gets the more powerful and elegant it will look. I know your gonna want to get this one back in the mud for another year

Dick , Thanks for your comments . I agree totally with you on this Kohakus pattern . But as you stated , with a large powerful body (that you can see happening in only 5 months) she could have a very nice overall apperence in a pond .

When looking at the two Kohakus I purchased in Dec. , you can see even then the difference in body structure . When I asked Mat which I should leave , he picked her . Now I could kick myself for not also leaving the 2-step (Avatar) .

never kick yourself for what you might not have done. You asked the right person about which one to keep. No one knows their koi like the breeder. With a picture of them together it easy to see why Mat made the selection he did!

Not to change the direction of this thread . But I'm very happy with the devolopment of the 2-step I brought home . Can't wait to see what Mat was able to do with her sister in the mud pond . I'm sure Mat will win , he better , that's what I paid for .

keep in mind also

that it's pretty hard all things considered for a cement pond to have the impact on growth that a mud pond does, so the deck is stacked against you!
    But, that's what learning and accepting challenges is all about!

Nice Kohaks, great for studying. It is great to have such a Breeder like Mat and Nisei Koi Farm around, their want to breed only the best and help the hobbyist bringout the full potential of their fish.

Thanks Dick thats pretty much what I expect on the kohakus..bigger . On the sanke I'm wondering whether or not the hi break on the shoulder. The showa obviously changes in sumi and how the pecs look. Not that it matters much since they are young but still changes to be noted nevertheless. I'm pretty sure that you have some in the mud as well Dick? And how about you Mike? I'm attaching two more photos. These belong to two of my fellow club members and will also be coming out that Sunday. One from the 555 pond and the other is with the rest of the big girls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos-nf06-20.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm/Quality Koi 2007 before and after photos-qk1.jpg  
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast