Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Beni Kumonryu

Beni Kumonryu

Never had one, until this year, February 2007. Advice given to me was to choose a beni kumonryu with the least amount of sumi... this one was tosai, 5", liked the pattern, liked the white, those 'panda' marked eyes did me in.
    Feb '07

A nice warm summer outside, something got at it's tail fin, the top two rays are missing??? Win some you lose some but it did grow very well. That sumi came up too...
    Oct '07 12 inches

...nice koi to watch develop, change,... what could be next - anything?

Hoping to learn more about this variety, anyone else have beni kumonryu to share? Thoughts? Comments? This one may be my first but won't be my last so...

Kind Regards,
    Terri

excellent development.....

--D

Sorry to hear of the lose of the rays on the tail . Who's the breeder , I really like how this Koi developed for you .

I'm looking for one this coming weekend at NKF for a friend (Can you believe it , someone trusting me with their $) .

Photo's I saw on the NKF Site . Which one do you all think ?

Have my eye on your #2 picture... not sure where on the NKF totem pole my name is but like yourself doing this for a friend (to bad I won't be there in person )

As for little 'Panda' and who bred it, can't quite remember the name - came from Joel, I know he told me and I wrote it down just can't find where I put the darn piece of paper. Tail is only half way so I am hoping it will grow back eventually.

You have fun this weekend H-6

Kind Regards,
    Terri

I bought this as a beni kumonryu last season. It was in a mixed lot of koi from Blackwater creek. I am still not sure if it's a doitsu sanke on beni kumonryu. Anyone know a way to tell?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beni Kumonryu-benikumonryu1.jpg   Beni Kumonryu-benikumonryu2.jpg  

My guess would be doitsu sanke on that one. I'm far from an expert (probably not even an experienced novice, but the striping of the pecs leads me to believe Sanke.) It seems most of the kumonryu that I have seen either have clean fins or a true motoguro pattern. Again, I'm not sure if this is consistent with the variety....but an observation that I have made.

that's so cool. I gotta get one these. I love watching fish go thru various changing stages. this one looks very cool.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_&_Terri View Post
    Never had one, until this year, February 2007. Advice given to me was to choose a beni kumonryu with the least amount of sumi... this one was tosai, 5", liked the pattern, liked the white, those 'panda' marked eyes did me in.
    Feb '07

A nice warm summer outside, something got at it's tail fin, the top two rays are missing??? Win some you lose some but it did grow very well. That sumi came up too...
    Oct '07 12 inches

...nice koi to watch develop, change,... what could be next - anything?

Hoping to learn more about this variety, anyone else have beni kumonryu to share? Thoughts? Comments? This one may be my first but won't be my last so...

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Nisai

Beni Kumonryu

Breeder's name is Shuya. He won a "Sakura" prize at the All Japan Show and again at the All Japan Young Koi Show this year with Beni Kumonryu that he bred.

"Sakura" Prize = Best in Size Non Gosanke

Looks like Terri has done a fine job of raising that one. It just so happens that I'll be visiting Shuya this afternoon.

Joel

Thank you for poppin' in here and naming the breeder Joel! Do you have a photo of the koi that won the Sakura prize?
    Enjoy your visit.

Kind Regards,
    Terri