Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New koi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    am not responsible....I blame it on the free beer! LOL
    Bob, it's good to see you have a great trip...

Hi Bob!

Great fish. Please sum it all up- how many fish did you buy and from which breeders. Michelle and I just got back. I bought three gosanke- all from Marudo. One left there to grow on.

Honmei

Magical Moment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    am not responsible....I blame it on the free beer! LOL
    That was the instant Bob crossed from thinking he won the Koi to finding out he did not.LOL

in the pendulum of life

I'm happy to see Bob, that after so much grief earlier, things have gotten better for you and spouse regarding your koi. Couldn't happen to a nicer couple! Thanks for sharing your photos

Quote Originally Posted by l113892 View Post
    Hi Bob!

Great fish. Please sum it all up- how many fish did you buy and from which breeders. Michelle and I just got back. I bought three gosanke- all from Marudo. One left there to grow on.
    Thnx for all the kind comments.. That video brought that day and trip right back....perfect trip.. well, almost if only a couple more friends could have been there. You know who you are

I knew this trip would have a different "flavor" than any we had been on before. The first 3 days were with Ken from Eastern Nishikigoi. Those fish arrived the day after we returned home, and have been through one week of quarantine so far.

Our original intention was originally to buy just 4 koi, and then after the last electrical "mishap" 3 months ago, expanded to 6 as a goal. I admit I was worried that might really mean 10. I shouldn't have worried about 10, as we ended up with 11, with 9 for the big pond, and one to two for the office pond and/or quarantine pond filter fish. I had squirreled away some money saving all year and bumped it up a little after the pond was done. Turns out even that was not enough. We primarily bought from breeders we had bought koi from before and of the same "type" that were lost in the last 3 years. I guess we still like what we did b4.

First Part of the trip we bought:
    Nisai 21" Kuchibeni Kohaku from Marudo...The Oomoyo flowery pattern one. The body type, skin, shiro, and beni all remind me of our "diamond", which some people on the board have seen.
    Yonsai 26.5" Showa from Marudo. The sumi beni one that broke the max "limit" we placed on ourselves per koi. The others all fit within that limit.
    Saw these two koi as I was walking into the greenhouse door in two diff holding ponds.. Picture my eyes like a frog each going diff directions toward the two ponds side by side. Haven't had two koi stand out that early to me before. Like "BAM BAM!"
    Yonsai 26" Yamabuki Ogon from Izumiya
    Sansai 26" Chagoi from Marusei.
    Nisai 15" Tancho from Tanaka, the "Tancho Man". Wanted a bigger Tancho from him, but only his nisai koi were pulled b4 we were there.
    Nisai 15" Shiro Utsuri from Dainichi. Also bought two other nisai shiro utsuri from Dianichi for same box, but only the first will likely make the big pond. These were a "throw in" to fill the box a little since the price was so good.

Then we went to Tokyo and hung out with Shila's mother's friends for a few days.. Then back to Niigata. I was worried about breaking up the trip being a hassle, but it turned out just right to have a break and we were ready to get back to "fishing".

Second part of the trip we were on our own with a rented car, but also hung out with Russell and his group some...We bought:

Yonsai 27" Gin Rin Chagoi from isawa Sakai. this was a surprise, after already buying a nice chagoi on this trip, but couldn't pass on "Buttercupni". Shila always wanted one since seeing a big one at a dealer years ago, and we have a small 6 year old now, but this one is much better.
    Nisai 21" Kuchibeni Sanke from Isawa Sakai. Great potential. Heavy lipstick.
    Nisai 20" Sanke from Nakata (Igarashi). Kay's fish (shila's mother) She is so excited about it she is now going to move to Colorado to be near it...LOL This is good to see.

One question I asked on all the koi were the size of the Oyagoi/Parent koi. Got to see them in some cases. The Gosanke were all from 90+ cm koi and the Ogon and chagoi's were from greater than 1 meter koi.

For a friend in Colorado Springs, we bought:

Nisai 21" Kuchibeni Kohaku from Oofuchi.
    Nisai 21" Sanke from Yamamatsu. Wish we could keep that one.
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

So where are the photos of the shiros Bob?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

There is some large nisai in that package. I think we see more large nisai than I remember back in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    So where are the photos of the shiros Bob?
    had alot of trouble with batteries and picture quality this trip, so not the best pictures overall. A fairly blurry picture of them was in the first group of posts on this thread, and none of the tanchos. The Utsuri we liked the best was the biggest and least finished one. Also the most likely one to be female. Will be taking better pix of all the new koi sometime during the quarantine period, along with measuring ourselves. Will post those when I do that, probably next weekend or so.

You are right Mike, big Nisai this trip. Great prices too. Seems many had "Jumbo" nisai, and alot of magoi and/or Matsunosuke blood in them. Although I believe Marudo is dainichi type bloodline? Would love to see your pix hint hint

Tosai
    Ooooops! Apparently that was a different thread that I posted the pix of our Shiros on.. here are my crappy pix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New koi-101507-winkler-shiro-15-dainichism.jpg  

Marudo lost all his female parent koi in 2004 so I'm not exactly sure what the make up of his fish are now. I did observe very few of the Sensuke style beni though I did buy a Sanke with persimmon hi. Most were purple based which I am not a fan of.

Picture 1- my nisai grow out sanke
    Pic 2- my son's kohaku- coming home
    Pic 3- Persimmon Sanke for me and Showa for a friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New koi-07-grow-out-kohaku.jpg   New koi-07-wills-kohaku.jpg   New koi-07-sanke.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast