Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving On

Moving On

It is the time of year when I start looking for new homes for koi that I no longer will be keeping. This weekend 3 found new homes.

A Goromo whose growth and development have not been satisfactory went to a local club member re-building her collection after a problem she suffered last May. She was 16" as nisai in January 2006, grew to 20" by March 2007, and has peaked this November at 23". A nice addition to a friend's pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving On-mary-goromo-maruyama-showa-011.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It is the time of year when I start looking for new homes for koi that I no longer will be keeping. This weekend 3 found new homes.

A Goromo whose growth and development have not been satisfactory went to a local club member re-building her collection after a problem she suffered last May. She was 16" as nisai in January 2006, grew to 20" by March 2007, and has peaked this November at 23". A nice addition to a friend's pond.
    It is a beautiful Goromo and a very nice gift.

A Maruyama Kohaku acquired as a 9" tosai in March 2005 as part of a ZNA Southern Koi Association group purchase. She grew to 18.5" by October 2005, and was 22" in March 2006. Then she developed shimmies that expanded to the point that she could qualify as a poor Sanke. I still would have kept her because her growth was so impressive. But, this summer the Hi began to get more uneven to the point of patchiness. She had reached 30+" on Saturday when caught. Her new owner keeps big koi, primarily chagoi and such. She will add red color to his pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving On-mary-goromo-maruyama-showa-006.jpg  
    Last edited by MikeM; 11-04-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo

The third is a heartbreaker... a Maruyama Showa of superb quality, but with a crooked head/mouth. It does not show in a photo, but it did in the pond. She could not swim in a straight, gliding movement; and when she came to the surface to eat, she had to shake her head to get pellets from the side of her mouth, rather than straight-on. I have mixed feelings about moving her on, because I would have enjoyed watching her progress. She has at least three more years to show her full beauty. But, the opportunity came for her to get a good home locally where the deformity is of no consequence. Acquired as nisai in February 2006 at 19", she was 24" in November 2006. This November she was over 28".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving On-mary-goromo-maruyama-showa-001.jpg   Moving On-mary-goromo-maruyama-showa-002.jpg  

I guess the day will come, Russ, when I only have koi that are permanent keepers. I'm not there yet. I'm always getting 'learning koi', and try not to get too attached to them. But there is always a bit of a sense of loss when one is moved on. I think we koikeepers have a duty to such fish to find them good homes, not just some other pond. These were all given away, but on condition that they would not be sold and have to be kept at least a full year. (Since I know the new owners, I'm pretty confident they will be there when I visit.)

Sansai

Smile Hello MM

How big your pond and how many fish you have ? i wonder why you don"t breed your kohaku? I love your kohaku it have a good body

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I guess the day will come, Russ, when I only have koi that are permanent keepers. I'm not there yet. I'm always getting 'learning koi', and try not to get too attached to them. But there is always a bit of a sense of loss when one is moved on. I think we koikeepers have a duty to such fish to find them good homes, not just some other pond. These were all given away, but on condition that they would not be sold and have to be kept at least a full year. (Since I know the new owners, I'm pretty confident they will be there when I visit.)
    Mike, it is nice to see that you care about where they end up. I think it is important. It is obvious you can keep Koi and they grow large in your pond. When you find the keepers I am sure you, and the Koi, will be very happy.

Jumbo
    The pond in Orlando is a functional beauty. The yard its in is a fantastic plantscaped Shangri La. The owner is a hopping, jumping, finger snapping, twisty shaky dancing, hooting, hollering, whoop-whoop-whooper of a koi lover. One of the Gentlemen From Florida.

Nguyen: With the 3 gone, there are 16 remaining in 12,500 gal. Five were acquired as tosai last March. (Three of those are male.) They will go to new homes next Spring after the breeder of several has seen the ones he produced and I get his input on how I could have done better with them. Maybe I'll keep one or both females another season. I've not decided. ...and then I'll likely get a couple more tosai to learn on. Always on the look out for new homes.

Mickey! ...finger-snapping? dancing? ... I think you have me confused with ****** [best left unsaid to avoid unnecessary consternation].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast