Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pond Foam

Nisai

Pond Foam

Is there any cause of foam on the pond other than undisolved organics. I recently (2 weeks ago) comissioned a new 12 ton pond. I added 50 small (12cm) Kohaku's to start the filters. I feed them about 2 to 3 times a day. The filters are far from mature but I have a very efficient protien skimmer that produces nothing, no foam at all. Salt = 0.34. Amonia = 20ppm. Nitrate = 20ppm. Nitrite = 12ppm. Temp = 22 celcius. Any ideas?

a very high PH can contribute. can you run a check on that to see if that can be eliminated

Daihonmei
    why yes, you could add ozone! LOls ( Jim , another one from the parish of you know who!)

Dear Bababooi, yes it could be the type of Protein skimmer you are using ( air driven or stone driven) or it could be the food you are feeding. What skimmer are you using? Or it could be the filter design and a stage in new pond syndrome. More details please on set up and FF time in use. Depending on FF design and time in service you could have a delay.. for now stop feeding as much. I'm kinda surprised that 50 baby kohaku in 12 ton pond ( 2600 gallons ) are not having more problems than just foam? You seem to be British based on your stat reporting ( degrees C, tons etc) and experienced. So what are your plans for winter as you have set up a pond for cycling at 71 F, you must be heated. But what about freezing and wind chill?

JR

Nisai
    PH is sitting at 7.2 so no problem there. I am based in South Africa where the coldest temperature ever in my main pond has been 19 Celsius. The FF is from a local company and normally used on my main pond. It uses small bubbles in a tall tower and skimms like crazy on the main pond, especially if I have not switched it on for a while so I know it is very efficient. I transplanted it to my new pond to try and solve the foam problem but so far it has not helped.

Daihonmei
    Ahhh, I see. So cycling is normal and I assume you transferred a sufficient amount of media from the established pond so that you will not cycle in this pond?
    As you know skimmers can be a little temperamental initially. I'd give the filter and skimmer time to pick up speed. But you seem to have two problems- One) foam on the water
    Two) no foam from the skimmer

Is that right? If so we are back to questioning you Skimmer again and why it is not working on a new pond where it worked perfectly on an old pond. What type of skimmer is it? Is it driven by an air stone, venturi, counter current or some other design? Have you cleaned out the column? JR

??... With nitrate at 20ppm and nitrite at 12ppm, I am surprised that you are measuring ammonia at 20ppm. If the data is accurate, it sounds like undersized filters, or too little media in the filters.

What color is the foam?