Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: How is fish with Hikkui supposed to be judged?

How is fish with Hikkui supposed to be judged?

How is fish with Hikkui supposed to be judged? I have seen alot of fish at shows with it and have done well.

Daihonmei
    Fish with infectious disease of course are to be DQ'ed. But skin conditions are allowed to be judged. Having said that, hikkui is not something that should win a beauty contest! So the fish is at a great disadvantage.
    But here is the thing, depending on the level of competition and the qualities of an exceptional fish, a koi with a minor area of hikkui or the beginning of hikkui could conceivable place in a show. We don't really like to see that but it can be the only course of action if we are presented with say an 82 cm showa with the beginnings of hikkui competing with 68 cm fish and of an obvious quality that dwarfs the other smaller contestants. This is not at all that unusual especially when the winning fish is an older fish. But there is a limit to the hikkui condition where a fish just has to be passed over. In a perfect world, exhibitors would leave home fish that show even the beginning stages of hikkui.
    JR

I just wanted to get some peoples take on this because it has confused the hellout of me when you see something of that nature out of no where be bumped up for a high prize.

Hikkui is not like a bumped nose or split fin. It just doesn't "happen", you can see it coming. I would hope they'd take Jim's advice and out of courtesy and leave it home.

Jim's reply covers the UK too.
    We treat it the same.
    Some years back I heard a judge make the following remark to a trainee that was paying too much attention to demerits.
    "Look at it like a Miss World contender with a zit, She's still eligible for the next round until you see something better. Don't kick her out of bed just yet."

rgds BERN