Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be a 100 tank koi show?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by carolyn swanson View Post
    How much are the fees/fish? Perhaps the answer is to raise the per fish charge to $100-$150 so that much of the grunt work can be hired out. And . . have more expensive trophies for Lee.
    At the Shinkokai AJKS the tank fees are in the $1,200 - $1,500 range per tank.

I know Frank M had to hire some help to get tanks setup for Gardena last year...Raising the tank prices would be steep...

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    At the Shinkokai AJKS the tank fees are in the $1,200 - $1,500 range per tank.
    Does anyone really think that US hobbyists would put out that kind of money...even half of it for that matter?

Daihonmei
    As far as the All Japan showS go, you need to appreciate two things:

1) the ALL JAPAN show in Tokyo is run by a business organization, the union of koi breeders and dealers. This is a business expense and a trade show event for the promotion of the international koi trade. There is plenty of money available for this event as it is an investment in current and future business. The customers are allowed to partake in a section within the show while the dealer fish and prospective sale fish are in another division. And the hi end fish are entered by their dealers for the special customer. This is business and costs are built in.

2) the ZNA ALL JAPAN is subsidized by the membership funds and donations. And ZNA is like the lions or Elks club of America in this regard. Many wealthy members have helped the organization along for years. So this is a special situation. Remember this organization even has a professionally staffed home office for the organization and magazine located in Beppu ( Oita) Japan, Kushyu. And finally, the ZNA ALL JAPAN is a national show with all chapters expected to support it in one way or another. This is ome reason why there is a ZNA America district within the North American District. The identical system as existing in Japan is not possible in the USA.

One final thought. It is very easy to get caught up in the grandness of a show. And that can be a wonderful outlet for some members who otherwise would not be at a koi show as they are not into competing or don't have show fish. But the point of a koi show should not be about human vanity. Sometimes smaller shows are better opportunites for education than large ones are. Quality over quantity counts for the koi themselves. I think it also applies to koi shows.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Cheap Shot , I don't think so !
    I think it is and I think we should stop singling out individuals. Thanks everyone .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    I know Frank M had to hire some help to get tanks setup for Gardena last year...Raising the tank prices would be steep...
    Frank didnt really hire help, he took his work crew to the show to help set up, yes they were on the clock ( Frank's clock).

Koi Kichi club had hired 2 guys for the last 2 shows to set up and break down the show, it cost the club $400.. And it was worth every penney.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Bernie can tell us I think the BKKS changed over to solid vats in the mid 1990s? They were great but remember to put a separator in before stacking them!! A cut 2 X4 or styro block, or they will be near impossible to separate and valuable time and energy will be wasted trying to pry them apart! Been there -done that! JR

PS. also storing 100 of these hard vats is a challenge so think about that. You will need considerable storage area.
    Hi Jim,

It was the late 90's, i.e. post 97 after I'd quit the committee.
    The story I heard was that they were put away dirty and were useless the next year. All in all I think they and the idea lasted a couple of years at most.

Most clubs over here are back to the fold-away vats that were based on the ones originally supplied by Airinkai.

rgds BERN

Nisai
    Look at the vat numbers at this show - apprently it was over 700 vats in total.

The venue - The wakagoi show April 2007!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 100 tank koi show?-dscn3793.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Look at the vat numbers at this show - apprently it was over 700 vats in total.

The venue - The wakagoi show April 2007!
    Actually I saw tanks numbered into the 700's for the ZNA show in Ojiya. But, the numbers were not consectutive. Also tank numbers started in the 100's -I was told that this was for organizational purposes. The koi are mostly grouped by size. There are smaller tanks (1 meter) for baby koi and larger tanks (2 meters) for larger koi. THere would be one or two jumbo koi in a large tank. 2-3 large koi together. and 4-5 medium koi in the larger tanks. There were 1-5 baby koi in the smaller tanks. I didn't see any tanks where larger and smaller koi were mixed together.

I agree with Jim's comments about the koi show logistics. I watched some of the set up and benching and some of the debenching and breakdown. THere were at least 100 staff mostly dealers and breeders but also hobbyist staff and ZNA hobbyists volunteers from the local area that did the work. It was very efficent and handled quickly. They started debenching at 1pm at the ZNA show in Ojiya. Also all the fish had be leaded/packed and gone within 45 minutes to an hour. We heard from some other hobbyist that they went by the show site about 3pm and everything was gone and the tanks had been washed, folded, and waiting to be loaded on trucks. Quite amazing.

Tategoi
    Oh how do we get a crew like that

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast