Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirulina

Banned

Spirulina

Last night, I saw a television show, Bizzare Foods w/ andrew zimmern. I enjoy watching food shows like this and "No Reservations w/ anthony bourdain.
    Yesterday the show talked about asian foods. Well, what caught my attention was "Spirulina" and how they grew it. They said it took around 90 days for the algae to become fully mature and ready to consume. They also said one glass had the same nutritional value of 40+ vegetables combined. They said it was the food of tomorrow. Is spirulina considered the best food a koi can eat? or does that title lay with shrimp, or manda fu?

Just something I am wondering about and hoping to start a new conversation.

Thanks, Eric

Here is a website that I just found...
    Spirulina Home Page
    It says over 60% of spirulina is protein. and it also boosts immune system.
    This has to be the best food for koi, and people.

Here is also a link to show the nutrtion facts of spirulina.
    Spirulina Nutritional Composition
    Last edited by lildude; 11-14-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Spirulina is an excellent food for fish when used in moderation. However, there are side effects, particularly on color pigments. With koi, it is a color enhancer than can cause whites to become pink, contribute to secondary Hi appearing and adversely affect yellows. Folks can debate whether over use of spirulina causes premature aging of red pigments. It is found in most "color" koi feed, and in other koi feeds as well.

No such thing as a single perfect food... although I think living earthworms come close.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Spirulina is an excellent food for fish when used in moderation. However, there are side effects, particularly on color pigments. With koi, it is a color enhancer than can cause whites to become pink, contribute to secondary Hi appearing and adversely affect yellows. Folks can debate whether over use of spirulina causes premature aging of red pigments. It is found in most "color" koi feed, and in other koi feeds as well.

No such thing as a single perfect food... although I think living earthworms come close.
    I understand that certain species in general need different amino acids, if one is missing they die.
    Would soy be a good candidate for the most perfect food? I hear it is the best food for most people who are not allergic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    Would soy be a good candidate for the most perfect food?
    Did you even read Mike response before asking that? He said:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    No such thing as a single perfect food...

Would soy be a good candidate for the most perfect food? I hear it is the best food for most people who are not allergic to it.
    Is the food for you or the fish? Tofu is a great snack for the fish...I mean snack...no one pellet or snack can balance out the diet of your koi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Is the food for you or the fish? Tofu is a great snack for the fish...I mean snack...no one pellet or snack can balance out the diet of your koi.
    ah... understood.
    I guess now that I think about it more. even a person couldnt survive on just beans or just rice, but when these two are combined , SUCCESS you can live.
    This has to apply to koi or other living things.
    I guess variety is key!

No...you can't live on just beans and rice either. Beans and rice together make up a complete protein...but protein is only a small part of the diet. No one food is perfect.

ah... understood.
    I guess now that I think about it more. even a person couldnt survive on just beans or just rice, but when these two are combined , SUCCESS you can live.
    This has to apply to koi or other living things.
    I guess variety is key!
    You answered your question "Variety is key".....Since you got your pond up and running, first things first is to study your water quality and the effects it has on your fish. You know that first chapter in "Koi husbandary" your on your way to studying Nishikigoi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

It's obviously because the koi are getting an overload of carotene, chlorophyll, Anthocyanins.

I wonder, would koi pellets, with color pigments, be sufficient enough to give the koi ample amounts of this stuff without causing a increase of too much color like you mentioned or a reduction in pigment. althought probably impossible to know for sure, I am curious to know what the exact amount of these pigment chemicals are needed to supply just enough.

Would the variety of the koi greatly depend on the amount of carotene, chlorophyll, etc. is needed?
    Would one food good for say kohaku not be so good for ogon, or shiro utsuri?

I hope these are good questions...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    You answered your question "Variety is key".....Since you got your pond up and running, first things first is to study your water quality and the effects it has on your fish. You know that first chapter in "Koi husbandary" your on your way to studying Nishikigoi.
    Yes, I remember.
    One thing that is preventing me from coming up with a way to do just that is...
    How will I modify my water quality to see outcomes in the fish?
    I mean, isnt it pretty obvious that low ammonia parameters, nitrite, Nitrate, GH, pH, and kH cause good things in koi? or am I really missing something with the water quality business..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast