Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Guess who's coming for dinner.

Guess who's coming for dinner.

I was changing some water in my pond and doing some other outside work when I noticed I had a visitor. At first he was sitting near the shallow pool that has some of this year's baby koi. I walked over toward him and he didn't fly off until I was about 15 feet away, and then he just flew over to the fence. I went and grabbed my camera. This guy was bold and the fake heron didn't deter him in the least. After taking a few pictures I sent him on his way. I noticed several scales on the bottom of the baby pool so I know he had a meal before he left. Needless to say the pond got netted. So it goes.
    Mitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guess who's coming for dinner.-copy-248_4823.jpg   Guess who's coming for dinner.-copy-248_4812.jpg   Guess who's coming for dinner.-248_4827.jpg  

Although I hate to hear you lost any koi , big or small . I'm glad that damn bird didn't try and make a meal from your larger higher quality koi .

Mitch , Hope You & Your Family have a wonderful Holiday Season

Nisai

fishing line is the key

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    I was changing some water in my pond and doing some other outside work when I noticed I had a visitor. At first he was sitting near the shallow pool that has some of this year's baby koi. I walked over toward him and he didn't fly off until I was about 15 feet away, and then he just flew over to the fence. I went and grabbed my camera. This guy was bold and the fake heron didn't deter him in the least. After taking a few pictures I sent him on his way. I noticed several scales on the bottom of the baby pool so I know he had a meal before he left. Needless to say the pond got netted. So it goes.
    Mitch
    Cross hatch fishing line over your pond and the area around it. It has worked so well for me that I have several blue herins that land on tall trees in view of my pond just stairng at the fish but there is no way for them to get in

Honmei

Guess Who Came to Dinner?

I think that is a more appropriate title for your thread. Sometimes one needs to fight fire with fire.

Troy,
    Happy Holidays to you as well. We might try and make the club Christmas party, but I'm not sure yet.

Russ,
    I'm lucky I happened to be outside finishing up putting plastic on my greenhouse when he came calling. The ironic thing is I was winterizing in preparation to bring the small koi into the shelter. As he was flying off I could swear I heard him say a line made popular by your governor. "I will be back"

Cody Turtle,
    I hear what your saying, but herons haven't been much of a problem in town where I'm at so I got complacent. I got plenty of koi and I don't mind him grabbing a meal if he is just passing through, but I sure wish he would let me do the picking.
    Mitch