Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: "Fun Baby Show"

"Fun Baby Show"

We have a new 'fun' society in the area. They had their first Pond Safari today and announced a 'baby' show to be held by them in June (our winter but not really winter!..coldest my pond went in winter was 16 degrees C). So I deceided what the heck I'll play for fun and I need some fish to keep the QT going anyway. So I got these Japanese tosai to grow. The size limit for the show will be 40cm so I looked for fish that will finish fast. There was not much to choose from amoungst the shiro's so the pic will speak for itself! The kohaku seems promising so does the little round sanke. The doits showa is a wild card!

Any tips on how to grow them slow and get a good finish? The QT tank is 3000 litre with a settle ment chamber and a bakki shower with a 18 000l/h pump. Temp in there is pretty warm at 26 degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Fun Baby Show"-kohaku1.1.jpg   "Fun Baby Show"-kohaku1.2.jpg   "Fun Baby Show"-sanke1.1.jpg   "Fun Baby Show"-shiro1.1.jpg   "Fun Baby Show"-showa1.1.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    We have a new 'fun' society in the area. They had their first Pond Safari today and announced a 'baby' show to be held by them in June (our winter but not really winter!..coldest my pond went in winter was 16 degrees C). So I deceided what the heck I'll play for fun and I need some fish to keep the QT going anyway. So I got these Japanese tosai to grow. The size limit for the show will be 40cm so I looked for fish that will finish fast. There was not much to choose from amoungst the shiro's so the pic will speak for itself! The kohaku seems promising so does the little round sanke. The doits showa is a wild card!

Any tips on how to grow them slow and get a good finish? The QT tank is 3000 litre with a settle ment chamber and a bakki shower with a 18 000l/h pump. Temp in there is pretty warm at 26 degrees.
    Is there any way you could post some brighter pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    Is there any way you could post some brighter pictures?
    I tried again....we took them after sunset so they were kinda dark but I think the 'i'm feeling lucky' button in picasa did the trick!

The showa looks like it could have a bent head.

Quote Originally Posted by l113892 View Post
    The showa looks like it could have a bent head.
    Nope. Checked again. It's the pattern on the head that creates the idea. I've got the same problem with one of my Koromo. Any tips on how to raise a baby champ though?

That's never been a motivation of mine. Most of what I buy is already too large for baby GC and I target a fish for future growth. Is your quarantine tank open to natural sun light. Can you control water temperatures to help control growth. I would stop feeding well in advance of the show- maybe 4 weeks in advance.

Erns: Search for information on Amidanokai.... I'm bumping up an old thread for you.