Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Predicting Future Conformation

And, her picture as used in NI/Infiltration web banner ads a few years ago (before her pigment fell apart).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predicting Future Conformation-dowagerinprimenb_edited.jpg  

Goodness, I still cannot get folks to stick their necks out. Guess this thread is at an end.

It isn't that I don't want to stick my neck out.
    I've just been having a hard time figuring out where to stick it...(boy did that come out wrong)

I've never had one that displayed the growth traits we're looking at so any prognostication on my part would have been pure guess work. The first side shot was the only thing that gave me pause early on, and that was mainly because of the uncertainty of how the head would/could catch up. the head appears wide enough, but the hump is so strong at this stage it is hard to know if the head can keep up down the road. Such a tremendous growth in length and overall bulk at the shoulder at the same time would seem to tip the scale toward the kind of issues Dick has alluded to.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Hi Mike

I too hesitated to chime in here. I have had fish do the same thing as yours is doing. The high shoulder-breast shape. I really think it may have something to do with growing on in a concrete pond vs mud pond. There is something to be said for ratio of length/width/DEPTH that concerns me in my endeavors. If you know how the Chinese built ponds to develop the round lobed bodies on some goldfish varieties you'd see what I mean. I read 40 years ago that they would grow these fish out in ponds that were circular in size, approx. 10' in diameter and 6+' in depth. This forced the fish to grow vertically rather than horizontally. It could be that something like that occurs when we try to grow fish in our "restricted" home ponds. Doesn't seem to happen much with fish grown out in the mud ponds. They seem to come out firmer and more muscular. Something I have never been able to do at home. I think your showa would look quite differently if she was mud pond grown. As you mentioned, it could have the genetics lineage of European food carp that rears it's ugly head occasionally. I would still keep trying with this fish however.

Question for you - do you think that adding some stronger currents for X hours a day would improve the belly line as she would be forced to exercise more, therefore creating a larger virtual swimming area in relation to the depth of the pond?

Mike

Hey, Mike. Good thoughts, but I don't think it fits. The pond turns over every 45 minutes. She is a strong swimmer and moves about a good deal. This one is not overweight. No bulges from eggs or fat. She can look thin in the pond when next to my Yamabuki. I think it is just pure genetics. But I'll not be moving her on. As long as the Beni holds up, I'll enjoy her. I think she will end up with a nice pattern, the motoguro may become fairly impressive and there is a nice lustre... especially the shiroji. If she keeps growing like she has been, maybe in a couple of years I'll take her to a show to get a 'friendship award'. I'll not be surprised if she was approaching 28" by next April, and over 30" in a year. I think a lot of folks would like to see such a koi at 32", even if she does not match up with the ideals our judges should be focused on. There's a lot to enjoy in koi.

Well, I've been proved wrong. She measured in today at 27.5 inches. I really thought she had the ability to do more. I'll need to re-think my feeding for her 5th (next) season. She continues to have a thin look when viewed from above. The depth of the body remains as great as before, but my photos from the side did not come out. Too much water movement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predicting Future Conformation-nogami-nov-08-27-011.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-nogami-nov-08-27-006.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-nogami-nov-08-27-001.jpg  

Interesting development. I started at the beginning to refresh my memory of the different looks over the early progress photos and this is a surprise in two ways. Obviously I share your surprise that the growth rate slowed so much, but at the same time I'm very impressed with how the overall balance in body structure has improved in the process. The width of the head now flows smoothly into the shoulders rather than appearing undersized as before. I don't know about the side view, but from the top I'm impressed.

Changing things up may be a good idea. Michael K had a beautiful Kohaku that got stuck on slow growth for a few seasons, (even in a mud pond) so he let her go to "summer camp" down in Texas... She hit a sudden growth spurt in their pond and took GC honors at her next show

Daihonmei
    mikeM,
    i got the attitude to help you out, but not the knowledge base to know where she is going...yeah i could see the small head and I like that i just read it as a fish in my tank looked spindle-shaped last year. So much so that i thought from looking at it that it was male...and it did not have a backbone look
    Now looking at your first pic posted today, the thinng that jumps out is the "backbone look" when i see thta I think that the flesh will catch up with the skeleton later...
    So it dovetails in with your original "guess"

Daihonmei
    And My heaviest Kudos to you for keeping up with the thread you started..very few of us are of your caliber

Larry: Yes, I think a mudpond would do her a lot of good in many ways. I believe a heavier feeding schedule with high protein is needed, but that would require a stocking reduction to avoid heavier maintenance duty.

Luke: The prominent backbone is definitely a striking characteristic. The genetic mix is not typical. Time will tell about the weight gain. I just hope the beni holds up long enough. If not, I might let this thread die quietly by not posting how bad things can get.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast