Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Predicting Future Conformation

It began raining while taking photos of this Showa. So, the update photos are not very good. But, I'm posting to keep the record going....

The 2009 growing season saw only a little more growth, with this gal reaching just a tad over 28 inches. That is less than an inch of growth. Nothing very interesting in development. The sumi has consolidated more and shadows of sumi can now be seen wrapping down the flanks, although these 'shadows' do not show in the photos. The Hi remains OK, but there is a small area that causes some concern that something bad is going to happen. We'll see. She was a reluctant feeder all season, among the last to go for food and readily startled by the presence of more aggressive feeders. So, while not gaining much length, she also did not gain much bulk. Pond companions do matter.

It is my thought to keep her another year, but she is among those that could be re-homed when certain New Jersey koi are ready to move to Florida. So, if she wants to stay more than one more season, she needs to do something interesting to earn her keep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predicting Future Conformation-november-2009-037.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-november-2009-038.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-november-2009-042.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-november-2009-043.jpg  

At times like this I wish I lived closer to you... If she gets "re-homed" I'd be standing in line for an adoption. There is something about her that keeps hope alive, but you have to make space when the time comes which has to be tough.

Hey, Larry. Good to have you back from the coast. Let me know when you have plans to be in Florida.... be sure to drive and leave room for a couple of boxes.

Mike, am curious why you would want to rehome that koi.

Pattern.....color.....?

Sometimes the wait is much harder to do. When I take on a project fish for someone in re-conditioning the fish must have a relatively good chance of getting better. I ask myself these questions before I take on a project, Will the fish get better with my feeding regime? and Will the fish respond well to my water conditions?

I have conditioned other hobbyist fish to win at shows and mind you I dont take any short cuts in doing so. If your Showa was in my hands I would probably keep it for about 2 years, the quality is there that reminds me of a good project that will get better. The beni and sumi is where it should be at in this fish's growing cycle.

I think you got to ask yourself too Mike is what do you plan on doing with the fish? Do you plan on showing the fish, because people do tend on treating show fish differently from others in the pond. How the fish is now I would compare your showa more to the Morales Champion Showa, same bodyline, same type beni and sumi...and almost the same type pattern.

What type of feed are you feeding the pond now? I think a good paste food mix between pellet feeding will get the girth you are looking for or send that puppy to the westcoast to see what I can do with her.

Tony
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Mike, am curious why you would want to rehome that koi.

Pattern.....color.....?
    Actually, Dick, I do not want to re-home her yet. I want to give her another year and then decide.

There continue to be head/shoulder issues as first raised when this thread was started, but I enjoy having the different body type. So, that alone is not a particular concern. There is the spot in the beni that might be going wrong, but I'd give her the next year to see how that develops. She is not show competitive around here with size 7 Showa except by default of 'the good ones' staying home. But, my interest in her was never for show. It was because she was (and is) different in so many respects. The 'problem' is that I'm getting bored with her. There has been little growth over two seasons, resulting in her now being one of the smaller koi in the pond and getting passed by younger fish. Pigment development has been tediously slow, despite the slow growth. I can really enjoy what some might call 'collector koi', but space is at a premium and if this one is not going to continue to entertain, there are some special gals in New Jersey that will need the space this one is occupying. No koi can come until one goes, so they all are 'at risk', except that old homebred Hariwake. She entertains by just surviving.

Mike, if you need to rehome this showa to make space for better New Jersey koi, then I am afraid to see what these New Jersey koi look like. From what pixs can reveal, I just love her body and quality and agree with you about her head and shoulder area. I can also relate to how you feel about koi not growing. Perhaps a summer playing in the mud will make a difference in her development.

Having raised this one from tosai leftover in inventory her nisai season, the positive comments are certainly good for the ego, but I think Tony goes a bit too far to suggest it is possible she is in the same league as Nancy's Showa. Really, now.

Lam: There are a couple of very special young ladies attending boarding school in New Jersey. Their debut is not scheduled at this time. So, different story; another day.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Having raised this one from tosai leftover in inventory her nisai season, the positive comments are certainly good for the ego, but I think Tony goes a bit too far to suggest it is possible she is in the same league as Nancy's Showa. Really, now.

Lam: There are a couple of very special young ladies attending boarding school in New Jersey. Their debut is not scheduled at this time. So, different story; another day.
    Let me rephrase it, it has some of the future potential to become something like the Morales Showa.

If there is a standard to which I measure my future show koi to be I just have to remember the Morales fish.

To be honest Mike, I see alot of potential in your fish and I think if you stay focus on what direction you want to take the fish it will come.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234