Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Predicting Future Conformation

Predicting Future Conformation

In September of 2006 I got a Showa, pictured here when she arrived in a bowl with an Utsuri. She was 14" long. She was originally marketed as a jumbo tosai, but spent her second season in a dealer's inventory. I'll not say who the breeder is, because I do not want pre-conceptions to influence opinions about her body development and conformation.

I next measured her on November 11, 2006, when she was 18". She got her second season of growth in a Florida autumn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predicting Future Conformation-unsorted-photos-736.jpg  

And here she is after a third season, now measuring 25.5". Note the head in relation to the shoulders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predicting Future Conformation-december-07-hebi-nogami-junior-tosaishiro-027.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-december-07-hebi-nogami-junior-tosaishiro-033.jpg   Predicting Future Conformation-december-07-hebi-nogami-junior-tosaishiro-040.jpg  

There's another perspective on her body that I'll post later after folks consider what they can see in these shots.

Mike, what is the bloodline of the Showa?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    In September of 2006 I got a Showa, pictured here when she arrived in a bowl with an Utsuri. She was 14" long. She was originally marketed as a jumbo tosai, but spent her second season in a dealer's inventory. I'll not say who the breeder is, because I do not want pre-conceptions to influence opinions about her body development and conformation.

I next measured her on November 11, 2006, when she was 18". She got her second season of growth in a Florida autumn.
    Are you saying you grew the fish 4" in 2 months?

Yes, she grew 4" in 2.5 months.

The photos posted accurately show what she looks like when viewed swimming in the pond. Your thoughts on her future body development will be appreciated. Here is what can be seen when bowled:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predicting Future Conformation-december-07-hebi-nogami-junior-tosaishiro-029.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Note the head in relation to the shoulders.

Mike , That's one of the things I noticed when viewing the photos . That area of the koi seems to almost be perfect (smooth relation from one area to the next) . Looks like a koi with a strong/powerful body and with the past growth , could be a large koi .

At this stage in the hobby for me , I just flip a coin when deciding on a koi's body (Well maybe not that bad) . So this could be a interesting Thread for me . Now if we could get you to go back in time and post some better photos of the koi when you first got her .

Great growth rate. A real testament to the pond design and your husbandry. I like the conformation. Not too thin or heavy but balanced. The hi seems a bit stretched?, but to be expected with the rapid growth.....

I would like to see a better top shot of the fish. This can generally tell you the portion is right and also a better side view to see how the hump has developed and how far forward it is.

Mike,

Would you happen to have a close up picture of her head, front view including shoulders? With that fast body growth, perhaps the head lags behind a little. Hard to tell from the pics, but they allude to it...

Marie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast