Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Carpet Algae

Carpet Algae

I was looking at my pond walls today and as things are heating up and I'm feeding more I noticed the carpet algae against the wall has grown quite a bit. It's definitely not blanket weed but I was wondering just when is it good carpet algae which then koi need and when does it become a problem? So are 4mm good and 7mm bad or should the walls just be covered with a thin green film?
    My water is pretty good and my nitrates never go over 20ppm (the taps water has 30ppm!!) but still the carpet becomes pretty fury quite quickly. I can and have controlled it chemically to just stay a thin film but I'm not too fond of using additives in the pond. I'm going to let it go for a while and see where it goes but some recommendations would be welcome. I noticed that Bob W was a bit concerned when he built his new indoor pond that he won't get the carpet algae going so I started wondering about it

Erns

If your tap is at 30ppm and your pond registers 20ppm, doing more frequent water changes may be causing it as the water is warming. Also, it could be just that as the water is warming up, your bio hasn't caught up yet with the feed/waste load. I would suggest simply keeping an eye on it for the first month and see what happens. I wouldn't change my routine at this time as whatever you do as far as maintenance goes, would possibly upset your natural bio function.

Mike

There are different species of algae that get grouped under the label 'carpet algae'. Which you have depends on the conditions provided and the spores in your air. These can utilise nitrates for their nitrogen needs better than the green water algae, but will use ammonia preferentially. The effects of algae on water are not well understood. I think it is safe to say that there are positive benefits, although the degree of benefit can be debated. The negatives are unsightliness if an algae grows too long, increased burden on mechanical filtration from the filaments that break off, and the adverse effects of dying algae (like those of any dying plant in a pond). I would not worry about the length of the algae if it is under a half-inch (13cm). If much longer than that, I would be on the look out for causes for the lush growth.

I would be concerned about using any chemicals to eliminate or set back the algae. I believe there is more potential danger to the koi in the chemicals than in the algae. Many people have suffered fish losses after use of algaecides.

Daihonmei
    Alot of carpet algae is just "koi-cropped" string algae...so feeding your koi more can increase the amount of carpet.string algae two ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There are different species of algae that get grouped under the label 'carpet algae'. Which you have depends on the conditions provided and the spores in your air. These can utilise nitrates for their nitrogen needs better than the green water algae, but will use ammonia preferentially. The effects of algae on water are not well understood. I think it is safe to say that there are positive benefits, although the degree of benefit can be debated. The negatives are unsightliness if an algae grows too long, increased burden on mechanical filtration from the filaments that break off, and the adverse effects of dying algae (like those of any dying plant in a pond). I would not worry about the length of the algae if it is under a half-inch (13cm). If much longer than that, I would be on the look out for causes for the lush growth.

I would be concerned about using any chemicals to eliminate or set back the algae. I believe there is more potential danger to the koi in the chemicals than in the algae. Many people have suffered fish losses after use of algaecides.
    Thanks Mike! Mine is only 1 - 4 mm long pending which area in the pons is getting sun. I was looking for info about carpet algae and you have answered my questions. Never thought I had a problem...just wondering about the concept.

this is my two yrs old virgin pond...

never added any chemicals. i love the carpet algae on the wall.i think a nice carpet tells you that the pond is balance. mine don't get longer than 1/4 inch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carpet Algae-koi-12596.jpg   Carpet Algae-koi-12591.jpg   Carpet Algae-koi-12590.jpg