Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood-framed Quarantine Tank

Thank you very much for the helpful responses. I will definitely keep them in mind as I sketch away on the QT tank design. Will keep you guys posted and ask for your guys' opinions one more time when I am done with the plan and before I break out the tools......thanks again.

Jumbo
    Lam, I sort of fly in the face of most of the advice given here. But it works for me. I have about 25 large koi kept inside my larger garage tank (2,000 gallons) for approximately 5 months out of the year. My water is crystal clear and the tests are spot on. I've done nothing real special for filtration. Just a lot of it. 3 - 55 gallon barrel filters fed by a 5800 gph Sequence pump. I've added a ton of airstones as well. Botton drain? Well, sort of. I have a 2" pvc line that travels down to the bottom of the tank then elbows over to the opposite side with holes drilled at the end (another piece of PVC is attached to the far end filled with concrete (then capped at both ends) to weight down the line. This sits on the bottom of the tank. I use a syphon system for water changes with a ball valve. Turn the valve and "walaa" water flows out. BUT WHAT I DO DO is several water changes each week to ensure my fish are in good water. I feed twice a day. With this heavy load I'm quite aware that water quality can be a large issue so if you do over crowd, be prepared to do whatever maintenance is necessary and then some to ensure your fish are in good water.

Oh, I also have a small sub pump (700gph) that sits on the floor of the tank which forces a current in the water so the fish don't loose their confirmation. My Q-tank (1,000 gallons) is set up the same way. I would have liked a no-nitch skimmer, but I'm not sure I really need it. The surface of the water is always clean/clear. The tanks are indoors with covers so I didn't really see a need to install one.

I'll see if I can find photos later today. Got to get back to work!!!
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

there is no need for no-niche skimmer. since it's in your garage, there is no leaves or other debris that you need to work about. you only worry about bubbles which can be taken care with 2"pvc pipe or bigger extended 2 inches about your water line. cut the pvc pipe in "stripes" down just half inch under your water line so that water and bubbles can get in but keep fish out. see drawing. if you cut it small enough that no pellets can get it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by koiscales View Post
    For your indoor pond, as big as you can fit it and as deep as you can go would be the best. From 7000-8000 gal. pond to 800-1000 gal. is a big change for them so bigger is better Same for the filters, never can have enough so as much as you can fit in your space. I would also add a skimmer as you wouldn't believe what adds up in there. You won't be sorry. You can use a Noniche Skimmer for the indoor pond.

You will want as much air as you can get in there so a diffuser on the BD would be great. I would also add a spray bar across the back of pond for added movement and air.

KS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood-framed Quarantine Tank-indoor-diy-skimmer.jpg  

I think allowing 30 minutes a week for maintenance- can be an issue. Doesn't sound like you have the time to devote to this indoor tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    there is no need for no-niche skimmer. since it's in your garage, there is no leaves or other debris that you need to work about. you only worry about bubbles which can be taken care with 2"pvc pipe or bigger extended 2 inches about your water line. cut the pvc pipe in "stripes" down just half inch under your water line so that water and bubbles can get in but keep fish out. see drawing. if you cut it small enough that no pellets can get it.

Steve
    I guess to each his own

KS

you have to have to mechanical to remove the fish waste on daily basis. fish waste is what can pollute your water ... faster then you think. either put a bottom drain in the middle of the QT or have 4 openings (one on each wall) at lowest points. next the the floor is preferred and feed all 4 openings into settling tank. design the settling tank so that you can flush the fish wastes each morning. use gravity force for this. if design it right, it should not take you more than 10 seconds each morning to flush out the fish wastes. PM me if you want some details on DIY settling tank for this.

Steve

Honmei
    OK, here are my thoughts about indoor QT tanks (wood framed). First off, I have an indoor, 2500 gallon wood framed tank. It has a difuser bottom drain (set in concrete), TPRs, Nexus, Gravity feed skimmer to vortex and a bead filter on that line for polishing. In fact, other than the structure itself, it has the same equipment and design criteria that a 5000 gallon outdor koi pond would have (minus the depth). Now, when we talk about indoor, wood framed tanks, my same 3 words apply as they do to outdoor Koi ponds....Structure, Structure, Structure! Except now, this wood framed structure should be at least equal, if not supperior to the inground Koi pond's.

Mine is a modular system and can be taken apart and rebolted back together. In fact it was bulit in my basement in Wisconsin, disassembled, reassemebled in the gargae in Memphis, disassembled and ressembled in the basement here in Illinios.

2x8 floor joist, approx 1' oc lift this structure off of the concrete allows the water temps more stability and insulation of the cold concrete in the winter and warm in the summer. The flooring is 3/4" plywood (4 sections since it is modular in quadrants) and 3 perimeter "ribs" constructed of laminated 2x4s and reinforced with angle iron. 2 butresses were added on the long side as well. All equipment and components fit through a standard exterior door (barely) and the entire system provide pristine conditions.

Now, for those that say an interior tank does not need a skimmer? Obviously you do not have an interior tank. There are many solids that either get made up within the system (algae, waste, etc) or fall into the pond/tank. Although an indoor tank probably will not have to deal with leaves, there is still those "system solids" and others such as simple dust that will float and need to be removed. I'll post some pictures tonight of what and interior tank's skimmer system can collect.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Hey Steve . . .

It's about time you showed up to share your expertise on this topic!

Honmei
    Ya mean school of hard knocks lessons Don! I'll get some pictures up tonight.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Much appreciated, Steve.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast