Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood-framed Quarantine Tank

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Ya mean school of hard knocks lessons Don! I'll get some pictures up tonight.

Steve
    While you taking photos of the skimmer system, PLEASE INCLUDE photos of the entire set up!! As always I am here to learn from you!!! I would love to upgrade my filtration system so am curious to see how yours is done. I've seen these "baby" Nexus units that are just the cutiest things. Would love one of those on my indoor tank!! Maybe next year!!!

Thank you all for the responses. Please keep them coming! Sorry I haven't been a good sport lately at responding to a thread that I initiated.....work has been very hectic of late.....in fact, work is piling up as I type right now!! STOP!!!!!!

MikeM, I thought about building a 2x4 wood framed insulation over my pond but have decided to hold off on that b/c I still don't have a decent size QT tank (I only have a small 150 or 200 gal Rubbermaid livestock tank). Furthermore, I will be redoing some remodeling to my pond this spring so the overall structure might change.

Steve S, thank you for your input. I too am planning on a frame structure that I can take apart and put together when I move. So thank you for stressing the structure aspect of a wood-framed QT tank. So far, about the only things that I am sure about are that the framework will be constructed of untreated 2x6s and 3/4" for interior and that I will use a drop-in liner that I will order from Steve Joneli. The size will most likely be 4' W x 3'9" H x 9' L for an estimated final volume of 950gal.

AuntieSue, thank you for your responses. It really helped reading your post in a different forum regarding building a wood-framed QT tank. And yes, I agree with you in that Steve S should post pixs of his QT filtration system. Oh, btw, as far as filtration is concerned, I will most likely use a 2,000 gal Ultima II for mech/some bio followed with either a Nexus Easy Pod or Steve Joneli's DIY fluidized K-1 55-gal barrell. Any of you guys have any input on this?

KS & Steve N., I think that I will go with a skimmer (as far as whether it will be a No-Niche or built-in swimming pool skimmer is yet to be decided). It seems that the KB community is kinda split on this one and from what I have learned re my pond construction, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you to all those that have responded to this thread that I haven't had a chance to respond to. Please keep your suggestions/opinions/experiences coming! Hopefully the designing aspect of this project will be done soon and the construction aspect will take off shortly. Thanks again.

Lam

Jumbo
    It's been a couple years since I have seen pics of this tank/pond, Steve. In a thread about Ian and Terri's tanks is the last place I saw them I think. Looking forward to it. I've never built one because I keep adding more and more structure until there just isn't any "cheap" left in the project.

Mickey . . .

Glad to see you 'back' -- ya ol' reprobate.

Honmei
    Mickey,
    I never said it was "cheap." Between hardware (bolts and such), wood, liner and drain it was about $1000-$1250 (I had access to the free angle iron. I had the pumps and filters (another $3000ish). Now, with it being in 3 places (2 moves), that brings the price per pond down dramtically with only the cost of a new liner with each move (about $250ish). Pics in about an hour.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. schildkoi@aol.com
    CKHPA

Jumbo
    Mr. Chandler, "incorrigible delinquent" has been the more commonly used term through the decades. You elevate me Brudda.

Mr. Childers, I AM cheap, and I thought my immense skills as a carpenter (actually kinda medium) could help me create great tanks for the fish with little expense. It just can't happen. When all of the forces are accounted for the tanks are not cheap. Add the provision for disassembly/reassembly and costs would be substantial. These should not be thrown together haphazardly. Careful planning and most of a thousand bucks would be a starting point. But built right they should be durable and easy to care for. Flush to waste, Baby!

Oh, and net 'em for the occasional flying fish.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

Honmei
    Here are the promised pictures. My current camera isn't working (Thanks to Delta Airlines) but rumor has it that Santa is bringing me a new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood-framed Quarantine Tank-3-ribs.jpg   Wood-framed Quarantine Tank-copy-deck-pipe.jpg   Wood-framed Quarantine Tank-picture-003.jpg  
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. schildkoi@aol.com
    CKHPA

You weren't kidding about being built to last. Look at all that angle iron.

Honmei
    Don,
    Those are pics from the original build. Even with that steel, the lond side would bow about an inch when filled. I added self supporting butresses along the long wall. These are tied back into the flooring and opposite side with more steel under the 3/4 inch plywood flooring. In addition, I added angle braces at the corners (on the 2x10 outer base).

Many people do not really understand the force of gravity, water or even expansion/contraction of soils and thus do not have adequate structures. An indoor pond should have an even better structure than an outdoor one. Although fixing a pond that has had a structural failure is never fun, imagine that added damge created from the water when "let loose" indoors!

Steve
    CKHPA

Wow! That's one heck of a nice QT system, Steve! It's amazing how it can be that big and yet be a modular system without any wood glue or anything to further hold the structure together. Very impressive.......I am starting to feel a little intimidated!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast