Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood-framed Quarantine Tank

Wood-framed Quarantine Tank

Hello fellow KBers, I have been wanting to build a QT system on my side of the garage (my wife gets half and I get the other half) for some time now, and after reading Steve Joneli's article on wood-framed QT in the latest issue of Koi Nations, I have decided that now would be a perfect time to build one.

A lil bit about myself, I currently have a 7,000-8,000 gal outdoor pond (12' x 22' x 5' avg oval shaped w/liner) and a small 200 gal outdoor QT tank made from a Rubbermaid livestock watering tank. Please note that the exact size of the main pond is an estimate as I didn't use a flow meter when I built it during summer '06. I have 18 koi in the pond ranging in size from 10" to 25". My goal is to have 12-15 good quality koi, attend a couple of shows a year, and meet new people and make new friends. I am also in the process of designing a new 12,000 - 15,000 pond. However, this won't be until several years down the road when my family and I purchase a new home (whether it's gonna be a DIY project or professionally installed is still indecisive).

My objective in building an indoor QT tank is to be able to bring a few, if not all, of my koi inside during the winter and to use the tank for new or sick koi. I also plan to use it as a grow-out tank for some smaller koi. I will post a design of the wood-framed QT tank once I finish drawing it up in Adobe. In the meantime, the best I can do is describe it for you guys: the QT will be 4' wide x 3'9" tall x 8-10' long (total volume of ~800 - 1000 gallons) constructed of 2x6's and 3/4 inch plywood similar to the one in Steve's article. It will most likely be lined with Steve's drop-in box liner with a 2" bottom drain that's posted in the fancykoioutlet website. No skimmer as this will be inside the garage. I am still working on filtration.

I did do some reading of materials on both this and other forums and the ONLY thing I learned is that there is definitely not one correct way to make a QT system. There are tanks ranging from 100 gal aquariums to 3,000 gal polyurea ponds. There are filtrations ranging from just a Savio skimmer w/media inside to systems with their own mechanical vortex and Nexus Easy Pod and fluidized K-1 and J-mats and Matala mats and the whole shebang.

Anyways, to make it short, here are my questions for the KBers:

1. The tank will most likely be 4' wide by 3'9" deep. I am still debating on the length. Should I build it 10' long (for a total volume of ~1,000gal) or is it okay to be 8' long (for a total volume of ~800gal). Yes or no or it doesn't matter.......or should it be longer or shorter?

2. From your guys' experience, what do you guys think of the depth? Good depth, doesn't have to be that deep, or doesn't matter?

3. It will have one 2" bottom drain as posted in fancykoioutlet. Should I have an aerated BD or does it matter?

4. Now for the most important question of all: what type of filtration should I use? Here's what I can tell you guys, and that is I can realistically come up with 1/2 hr a week to clean/maintain the filter. Costwise, I can probably spend up to $800 on filtration supplies (no more than $1,500 on the whole project). Stockwise, I would like to bring all of my koi inside during the winter. Turnover rate, about once an hour. Given all of these criteria, here's what I have come up with so far, and again this phase of my design/planning is still very much in its infancy, so please feel free to fire away.

- Option 1: Ultima II 2,000 gal max for mostly mechanical with some biological followed by a 55-gal K-1 fluidized barrel.

- Option 2: Steve's design of 55-gal K-1 fluidized barrel, then pump, then his design of 55-gal sand filter.

- Option 3: Ultima II 2,000 gal max followed by a smaller version of Momotaro's bakki shower with most likely J-mats and Matala mats.....BH might be too expensive for me.

- Option 4: 55-gal K-1 static followed by 55-gal K-1 fluidized.

Whew, what a lengthy post! Anyways, your guys' thoughts and opinions are much appreciated. I plan to take pictures and post them along the way for other rooks out there who might be interested in building a similar QT. Thanks very much fellow KBers.

Lam

For your indoor pond, as big as you can fit it and as deep as you can go would be the best. From 7000-8000 gal. pond to 800-1000 gal. is a big change for them so bigger is better Same for the filters, never can have enough so as much as you can fit in your space. I would also add a skimmer as you wouldn't believe what adds up in there. You won't be sorry. You can use a Noniche Skimmer for the indoor pond.

You will want as much air as you can get in there so a diffuser on the BD would be great. I would also add a spray bar across the back of pond for added movement and air.

KS

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post

I have 18 koi in the pond ranging in size from 10" to 25". My goal is to have 12-15 good quality koi,

My objective in building an indoor QT tank is to be able to bring a few, if not all, of my koi inside during the winter and to use the tank for new or sick koi.

1. The tank will most likely be 4' wide by 3'9" deep. I am still debating on the length. Should I build it 10' long (for a total volume of ~1,000gal) or is it okay to be 8' long (for a total volume of ~800gal). Yes or no or it doesn't matter.......or should it be longer or shorter?

Lam
    Hi Lam,

I think that it is great that you are building an indoor QT tank but if you are going to have 12-15 good quality Koi then 800 - 1000 gallons will not be enough water to keep them in all winter, especially if they would be in the size ranges you are showing. Are you really cold enough up there to risk putting that many nice Koi in 800 gallons for the winter?

Thank you for the responses KS & Russell. KS, do you really need a skimmer since the QT tank will be indoors? I just don't want unnecessary things in the tank for fear of damaging my koi. And yeah, I am really leaning heavily on having an aerated BD.

Russell, it can get pretty cold up here in Portland during the winter. My water temp is 46 degrees right now and it is continually dropping. Last year, I had to turn my waterfall off because the whole pond was frozen with about 3-4 inches of ice. Even if I don't bring all of my koi in, I would like to bring at least the smaller ones in so that they will continue to grow during the winter. Do you have any suggestions on filtration? Thanks guys.

Honmei
    Thank you for the responses KS & Russell. KS, do you really need a skimmer since the QT tank will be indoors? I just don't want unnecessary things in the tank for fear of damaging my koi. And yeah, I am really leaning heavily on having an aerated BD.

Russell, it can get pretty cold up here in Portland during the winter. My water temp is 46 degrees right now and it is continually dropping. Last year, I had to turn my waterfall off because the whole pond was frozen with about 3-4 inches of ice. Even if I don't bring all of my koi in, I would like to bring at least the smaller ones in so that they will continue to grow during the winter. Do you have any suggestions on filtration? Thanks guys.
    My water went down to 46 degrees last week and is back to 54 degrees right now.
    No suggestions on filtration.........it starts arguements.

I think you could pass on the skimmer though.

Bigger is much better. Garage size best. Accidents and problems can and will happen in any situation, and particularly as crowded and indoors as you propose.

Make sure you have multiple safeguards, ie battery back up for air, and multiple electric circuits. Make sure the wood is reinforced alot more than you think you need. Water creates alot of pressure. Also watch out for condensation. It can rust out metal parts, or cause mold. Next, sunlight. How to get that to them? Long term keeping koi indoors without real especially, or artifical, sunlight is hard on their skin. Consider a metal halide light setup similar to a reef tank, but know that isn't really a substitute. Especially at the depths you propose. But better than nothing. You didn't mention heat. I'm sure you know you'll need that. What about new purchases? Where will those go?

Hope that helped Have had a wood framed quarantine located in the garage for 15 years and have made all the mistakes. Hopefully.
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

I know nothing about indoor winter koikeeping, so I cannot give useful comment. I am wondering if you have tried constructing a 'cold frame' type cover for the your pond. I have been very impressed by the temperature levels accomplished by those who have in such wintry locales as Chicago and upstate New York.

Tategoi
    In an 800 to 1000 holding tanks you'l only be able to put 4 or 5 of those fish with out having major water quality problems. I have two tanks a 2500 and a 750 and if I overstock the smaller tank, water becomes an issue.

The larger tank has about 15 fish in and again I work at maintaining the water quality.

Both tanks have 4'' BD and DIY filters made out of 55 gallons barrels and large TT's

Graham

Like I said it is amazing what collects in the retro fit skimmer. I wouldn't have my indoor pond/tank without one but thats me.

KS

Hi,
    I used 10ft 2x4`s cut in halve for the width = 10x5 30" high. On the bottom and sides I used 1" x 4x 8 insulation sheets . They cut real easy and makes a good form fit. I have 3 lengthes of 1/8 rope strung length wise about 6-8" above the Q T so I can lay a 6mil cover over the whole tank. It really helps to keep heat in. Mine is outside under my patio and I maintain 65-66 degree`s during winter. My pond outside was 54 this morning.
    I use a 200 and a 100 aq heater inside my filter. Keeps it away from the fish and wont get broken. Had that happen one time safer in the filters. Hope that helps . I do`nt have a skimmer wish i did sometimes I use a skiming net when needed.
    Louie

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast