Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use Potassium Permanganate?

I like it better than chlorine for sterilizing equipment because I don't have to worry about chlorine residue on the equipment. I can rinse and it's ready to use. I am on well water....I don't even own any dechlorinator. I think chlorine bleach is harder on nets than PP also.

Jumbo
    I have used it at times in my pond as per Dr. Roddy Conrads directions with good results.

Like Cindy said, PP can be used in water temps where the use of Proform-C would be precluded.

PP (measured with a gram scale, used in ponds with known/accurate volume and monitored with an ORP meter) is safe and effective for the eradication of parasites like chilo and trich.

Like any other powerful and indiscriminate oxydizer, it's dangerous when used improperly -- and so do all the others.

So instead of using PP to burn the organics out of your pond how about just changing the water a bit more often?
    B.Scott

Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott View Post
    So instead of using PP to burn the organics out of your pond how about just changing the water a bit more often?
    Righ on, Scotty. Using PP as a bandaid for treating the symptoms of poor pond design, stocking, filtration and maintenance -- instead of dealing with the problems -- is a non-starter.

Most of these posts have been on getting rid of organics. How about paresites ? PP is one of the most cost effective chemicals in the hobby. To me a dip is far more a danger than treating a whole pond. I have used it for over 30 yrs and even on babys 1" long in breeding. Doc Johnson had a massive kill by treating in table spoons knowing it should have been tps. In that case it is not forgiveing.
    And yes I run it thu my filters I have a good filtration system that picks up right away after a pp treatment. My colors are strong ,I have picked up a few trophys and I owe it to good koi keeping. PP has a place in the hobby if you know how to use it and do not abuse it.
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Most of these posts have been on getting rid of organics. How about paresites ? PP is one of the most cost effective chemicals in the hobby. To me a dip is far more a danger than treating a whole pond. I have used it for over 30 yrs and even on babys 1" long in breeding. Doc Johnson had a massive kill by treating in table spoons knowing it should have been tps. In that case it is not forgiveing.
    And yes I run it thu my filters I have a good filtration system that picks up right away after a pp treatment. My colors are strong ,I have picked up a few trophys and I owe it to good koi keeping. PP has a place in the hobby if you know how to use it and do not abuse it.
    Louie
    And for parasites at what PPM would you suggest?

KS

KS,
    I use 2ppm and sometimes stronger. I would suggest you go to Erik Johnsons D.V.M. koi health and disease book. The AKCA book store has it and it is one of the most helpfull books around. What I do In my pond comes from years of trail and error so many factors come into play. I will tell you this if you know your ponds gal 2ppm will only help and will do no harm. Its best to read up on this so you feel at ease when you first try it.
    Louie

Nisai
    I have always been too afraid to use PP until recently a good friend of mine educated me. He uses it regularly in his pond for a veriety of reasons as well as doing a bath for new fish. I have now recently used it twice at 2ppm. For organics I use it at 2ppm for 7 hours and then throw in 9% Hydrogen Peroxide to eliminate all traces of the PP. I have had no problem with filters and the clarity of the water is absolutely amazing after a treatment. I will definately make it a standard part of my koi keeping going forward.

I have never been a fan of dip treatments. In practice, the strength you need to treat a fish effectively when exposing it for a brief dip, and the amount that will injure/ kill the fish lay too close together. In the long run, I just don't feel they are effective. Generally they give peace of mind to the owner of the fish and little else.

Treatment of parasites is something I do in quarantine with new fish. Once in the pond itself I find that large water changes, low stocking, a clean filter and good quality food precludes the outbreak of parasites. Remember that with a few exceptions, most on the parasites on koi are opportunistic and will only flourish (ie become a problem) when water quality, stocking rates and filtration are lacking. When the ecosystem of the ponds suffers, it's happy times for parasites.

This sort of situation is similar to fish in a wild habitat. In rivers and streams there are parasites to be found. So why are the fish not seething with vermin? There is nobody dumping PP in the lake. Simply put the answer is, lots of good quality water and few fish. But drag a net across the lake and put all the fish in close proximity in a small body of water (like garden pond) and all hell will break loose

As for the "Health Book" written by the large vet, I have some very serious issues with many of the protocols and methods he uses and don't feel that his book is anywhere close to being as well thought out as it might be. To be truthful I avoid his advice like the plague preferring to take advice from others I consider to be much more adept in treating koi.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast