Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use Potassium Permanganate?

have PP on hand but afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I know of no reason to use PP other than treatment of confirmed infection by trichodina. ...none. Dangerous stuff that, at best, disrupts the natural biofilm/algal communities that define a 'mature' pond. Justifying use on the basis that no harm was observed, or that a mature biofilm can endure if done 'properly', is simply closing one's eyes to the known reality. It is rather like an alcoholic observing that his liver has not ceased to function... yet.
    I agree with you Mike... to a degree. PP is a tool and nothing more. It can be used when needed to treat a degree of problems but shouldn't be used nilly-willy.

What it is not is a tonic, additive or way of correcting a poorly designed pond. If one needs KMnO4 to keep your pond clean, the ORP high or the water clear, you should address the problem at it's source and stop looking for a band-aid. Get a better filter, larger pond, better water, less fish and do more frequent water changes.

That or find a new hobby.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott View Post
    I agree with you Mike... to a degree. PP is a tool and nothing more. It can be used when needed to treat a degree of problems but shouldn't be used nilly-willy.

What it is not is a tonic, additive or way of correcting a poorly designed pond. If one needs KMnO4 to keep your pond clean, the ORP high or the water clear, you should address the problem at it's source and stop looking for a band-aid. Get a better filter, larger pond, better water, less fish and do more frequent water changes.

B.Scott
    Well said.

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B.Scott

B.Scott

Well said.

Now we have seen the bad and the ugly about PP.....
    Anything positive about it lol

Always need both sides!!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    Now we have seen the bad and the ugly about PP.....
    Anything positive about it
    PP can be used in water temps where the use of Proform-C would be precluded.

PP (measured with a gram scale, used in ponds with known/accurate volume and monitored with an ORP meter) is safe and effective for the eradication of parasites like costia, chilo and trich.

Bumped.......

i'm still afraid to use chemicals.

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego

Get over it

I use PP on occasion. The dosage is low (2-3 ppm) and it seems to help my situation having (Dare I say this..) plants in my pond (to each his/her own). I also have things "that need to be corrected". But until I find the time and funds, this is an inexpensive course of action. I find it is a good "tonic" when going in and out Aeromonas
    Pseudomonas
    Alley

Then again, I'm not in possession of the next big GC... yet.

Again, To each their own.

While I wouldn't say 3-4 ppm is a "low" dose I do realise that in a pond with plants you will tend to get many more organics which would make the dose less effective. Still, PP isn't something to be used on a regular basis as a fixer-upper but a tool for very specific situations.

B.Scott

Daihonmei
    no such thing as aeromonas alley- just a urban myth to scare ( and create a false diagnosis) newbie keepers-- JR

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast