Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use Potassium Permanganate?

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal

Do you use Potassium Permanganate?

Whats the Pro vs Con of PP?

Tom

I know a few of you use it regularly....

Tom

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    I know a few of you use it regularly....

Tom
    I don't......

Blog Entries
    I use it as a dip....I think if people arent comfortable using it, do use it.

Honmei
    I know some breeders in Japan that use it regularly as a dip. Some use it to clean their holding tanks or treat Koi in their holding tanks.

never use it in the pond before. not sure if I ever need to but can't predict the future so i leave that option open.

used it once for dipping before put the fish into my pond. I dumped the water on dirt and it caused so much irritation that worms were jumping out the soil. felt so bad. best way to get rid of the PP mixed water is dumping it into the toilet bowl I guess.

I know a guy who just dump pp into his pond once year when water temp start to warm up or whenever he sees sick fish in his pond. his reason has always been he doesn't know what's going on in his pond water so he felt safe to take the "nuclear" option by treat it with pp. I think he's just nut.

Steve

A couple of guys here in S. Cal use it monthly. (a little every month) Maybe they respond to this post!!!!
    I do use it periodically to knock down some organtics.

Tom

I'm with Russ. I haven't used it for several years - tried it but felt it was just too dangerous compared to other items on the market that will take care of a problem if it crops up.

Hopefully, I won't have to do anything for a long time, as this past year, I didn't add a thing to my water except new water. Keeping the pond in excellent condition in the winter seems to be paramount to good spring time water quality. I also wait til March/April to fast the fish completely. Sure seemed to do the trick this past spring/summer - No big bellies on any of the girls!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    used it once for dipping before put the fish into my pond. I dumped the water on dirt and it caused so much irritation that worms were jumping out the soil. felt so bad. best way to get rid of the PP mixed water is dumping it into the toilet bowl I guess.
    I use it all the time to sterilize or decontaminate equipment. But I don't think dumping it in the toilet is a good idea. A better idea would be dump some hydrogen peroxide in the PP water and the PP will be neutralized...the water will turn brown or tea-colored. Then it is safe to dump it on the ground.

I have also used it on occasion for fish. I have done the 200 PPM dip in the past (it was an emergency...worked great, fish fully recovered from what was bugging her). It is also one of the only general parasite treatments that can safely be used in cold water. ProformC is much safer, but it is temperature sensitive and PP is not. I would never suggest a newbie use it, especially for routine pond clean-up (I know people who do that every month) and I would never suggest someone use PP without knowing their pond volume and a gram scale must be used to measure the PP.

Query: What makes Potassium Permanganate better to use than chlorine?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast