Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'White' food

BTW, for those who are not aware, astaxanthin is a carotenoid pigment involved in the coloration of salmon flesh, shrimp and krill.

[quote=Bob Hart;97084]On another forum I'm using, there was quite some talk about foods (as there often is). A couple of knowledgable dealers mentioned that the food they buy and use is bought with improving the 'white' (Shiroji) on the Koi and as far as colour enhancer is concerned, they would prefer to not have it in the food. Therefore the Koi develop's it's colour naturally based upon it's genetics, and they focus on just improving the white skin. So not just buying food, but 'white food'.

I dont think that food makes much diffrence to shiroji if they do not have it in the first place . Some of my Matsonasuke have amazing shiroji as it even stays milk white in the mud pond it seems very thick as it took years for the sumi to fully develop through it . All my large fish have got good sumi right now as the temperature is down to 45f in my unheated greenhouse .
    Regards
    Eugene

Jumbo
    What is Nobori? I tried to goggle it, but came up with odd things, not food or any additive that I could see.

Here ya go Sue

Nobori Koi Food - JPD America

KS

Jumbo
    Ingredients:
    Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Soybean meal, Cuttlefish Meal, Hemathococcus, Lactoferrin, natural Astaxanthin, Vitmains and Minerals.

Thanks!! Seems to have some color enhances in the formula if I read this right. Will have to goggle two of these listed to make sure though.

EDIT: Yep, I thought so:

Koi Foods and Koi Feeders: Medicarp and Nobori

It is a real challenge to find koi feeds that rely solely on the vegetable and animal components for color-related pigments. Most feeds that do not purport to be 'color food' still have added pigments or spirulina (to boost protein and pigment content). Perhaps some is needed to compensate for the effects of processing. I am uncertain. Some folks add a bit of 'color food' to a pellet mix based on the idea that a little bit will be OK, without being conscious that their regular pellets already contain supplementary pigments. There are not many folks who know what all those multi-syllable words are. Astaxanthin, for example, could just be another vitamin or some such in the long list of weird words like lacto-ferrin, beta glucan, etc etc. It is really not all that easy to figure out what we are really feeding our carp, even after reading the ingredients.

But, the concept of feeding to keep the white unstained and all other pigments maturing naturally is an appealing one. Something to consider.

Sansai

My current favs

I just checked the ingredient list for my current favorite combo: HiSilk sweet potato and EA One. Neither one has any added color-enhancing ingredients. I like the combo for the effect on the whites (only Tide could do as well LOL). Do you think that other ingredients could be added without listing them? I wouldn't mind because of the good job the food does, but it would be nice to know.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by carolyn swanson View Post
    I just checked the ingredient list for my current favorite combo: HiSilk sweet potato and EA One. Neither one has any added color-enhancing ingredients. I like the combo for the effect on the whites (only Tide could do as well LOL). Do you think that other ingredients could be added without listing them? I wouldn't mind because of the good job the food does, but it would be nice to know.
    Carolyn, I agree, I feed Hi Silk with sweet potato as well and my whites and skin luster improved shortly after I started feeding it. But Mike has brought up a good point. Some of the "so called" color enhanced ingrediants are really somewhat necessary because of the nutrients they provide. We just don't want those items to be a larger part of the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    But, the concept of feeding to keep the white unstained and all other pigments maturing naturally is an appealing one. Something to consider.
    My thoughts as well Mike, I'll feed back some thoughts from here onto the other forum and see what transpires

i think the thought here is when you buy a koi, we as hobbyist can only maintain or increase the quality. All major factors come into play when conditioning a koi...So we all have to remember that the quality of food plays only a small part in maintaining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12