Meg
    welcome to The South, Mickey!
    good 'ol days? thats funny.
    ....Marrianna was ALWAYS in the news!

but back to underlayment,
    Eugeneg, doesn't felt deteriorate also?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pond Digger View Post
    Is this thread DEAD or ALIVE? Will we ever come to a resolution on the requirements of a minimum koi pond. I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse but I had to dodge some bullets to come along this far and don't want to see this thread get tossed under the carpet without some resolve.

I have used this thread as motivation to build what should be considered a MINIMUM KOI POND by the serious hobbyist, to raise my Shiro Utsuri's in the MYSTIC Koi / Koi Bito Grow Out Contest. Heck, I'm not even gonna install any underwater lights!

Now admittedly, I'm still in the process of this KOI POND installation. You know this isn't a one day pond installation.

I've added a few extras to this koi pond, that I believe take it beyond the MINIMUM KOI POND requirements just for the fun of it, including a CETUS Sieve from Evolution Aqua that I picked up at Mystic Koi.

Was there a decision made on what style shell structure, filter requirements, gallons, depth, etc. that would be installed by the person who originally posted this thread.

For details on what I have installed, with consideration of the information in this thread, please review my Thread in the Grow Out Forum.

The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger
    Digger,
    I do not believe it to be possible to attempt to set "minimums" in the manner that this thread is attempting to do so. I've written an article as part of my ongoing series of "It's a System" in an attempt to show how a pond design (and its minimums) are a function of the requirements of the owner themselves and their unique set of details. I have also attempted to define a set of minimum ranges of the resulting environment to design around for that specific owner. Stay tuned for the May/June issue for more details.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Hmmm

I would love to visit the new home & koi farm but I may be caught by the big bird in the sky.....

"The part of Florida I've moved to is pretty colorful. Plenty of horses, cattle, goats. Little crop though. I've seen for hay and pines and that's about all. But there are many stories about the good old days, 70's 80's 90's, when everybody grew cash crop in the woods. No inhaling of course. I can't wait for when I build greenhouses and my electric bills skyrocket...the helicopters will be thick. Already have two former coppers lined up as contractors helping on the house. One or both maybe will help with parts of the minimum koi pond also. Hopefully they will somehow keep me safe from DEA and ATF."

Funny Mick.....

Detroit is getting 10" of snow tonight....Don't you miss your old home?

Shiro Grow Out Koi Pond

Well here's one of the things I got out of this thread. I built this Koi Pond for the Shiro Grow out contest. I finished it up yesterday just in time to pick up my Shiro Utsuri's from MYSTIC KOI tomorrow!

I believe this feature is more than what a minimum koi pond should be. My goal from participating in this thread was/is not necessarily to build what the minimum koi pond is, but to have a bench mark to refer to. You can find a step by step installation photos of the pond in my grow out forum. I will look forward to constructive criticism.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger

"Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

Room For More

I even have room for a few more of these, to experiment with different design configurations and filtration options.

The Pond Digger

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pond Digger View Post
    Well here's one of the things I got out of this thread. I built this Koi Pond for the Shiro Grow out contest. I finished it up yesterday just in time to pick up my Shiro Utsuri's from MYSTIC KOI tomorrow!

I believe this feature is more than what a minimum koi pond should be. My goal from participating in this thread was/is not necessarily to build what the minimum koi pond is, but to have a bench mark to refer to. You can find a step by step installation photos of the pond in my grow out forum. I will look forward to constructive criticism.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger

It looks something like what you saw Taro doing in Hawaii

RookieKoiGuy Grow out Form

Kodama Koi Farm

Yes, I was blown away with all the grow out ponds at Kodama's Farm. HUGE circular ponds, over 40' diameter! SImple, structurally sound, easy to control directional flow of water, easy to cover, the list goes on......

This feature was certainly modeled after those ponds in Hawaii. I referenced the Kodama Koi farm and their grow out ponds earlier in this thread.

Now my goal is to take a SERIOUSLY designed feature like this one and make flow seamless into a landscape most likely in ground.

The Pond Digger

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819