Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: positively...a koi pond

Jumbo

positively...a koi pond

A lot of discussions on these boards revolve around the requirements of a real or proper koi pond. By reading those posts over the years I’ve developed a sense of what a koi pond must include, could include and must not include. Without opening a couple stinky old cans of worms, let’s get into this again, but from a different angle.

Could we agree on what may be the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM koi pond?

I will build it to test it out.

The belief that is driving this is that newcomers don’t really know what they need to aim for, or what to aim higher than, I guess. We all know that there is conflicting and misleading information to be found easily through any Google search. Thread after thread here and on any other board include posts saying “you know what you should have done…” after some fellow posts the new pond he is SO proud of.

Early in my learning, reading on the Malaysian Koi Forum, koi.com.my, there was a standard set of drawings repeatedly posted to answer the questions of new folks wishing to build a proper pond, trying to figure out how they worked and wanting to get a handle on it before they started. Regrettably, those drawings don’t necessarily translate to being a minimum American koi pond. For one thing, it was poured concrete, , not exactly what I am thinking of as minimum.

Do others think that this would be helpful as a starting point from which every enhancement could be called “up form here?” To define and illustrate the minimum size in gallons, the minimum depth and the minimum turn over rate. The minimum filtration, the minimum pipe sizes and the minimum reinforcements of structure. And the minimum costs/investments for all of these,. using the minimum quality of components, and delivering the minimum PROPER function for the care, the keeping and the growth of koi as a hobby.

Any regrets felt later by the newcomer using this plan we put together should be that there wasn’t more money to build bigger and better, not that there wasn’t enough accessible information about what you could get to work well.

So, my goodness, do you think we can agree? Do you think we can haggle out an agreed upon description of the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM koi pond? Do you think we can agree in the next couple weeks, the holidays? Post on your time off or your free time that may happen during the next couple weeks.

This post is going to Bito and Shack both. It would be nice to keep the respondent groups separate, thinking it would be interesting to see if there is a difference in the “must haves”, “gotta haves”, and “can’t be withouts” on the two boards, reflecting the personalities and experiences of the folks posting there. Dealers and pond builders will have valuable opinions of course, but so will you.

Repeat…I will build it, here, as the front door pond for the new barn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails positively...a koi pond-lake-city-021.jpg  
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

MCA
    for how many adult koi? are we building to a target stocking level...or will stocking levels follow the pond system design?

chicken or egg first?

Daihonmei
    Minimums
    EPDM
    12ft long x 5ft wide x 4.5ft deep..whatever the gallonage
    1 bottom drain
    1 no niche skimmer

Jumbo
    Egg. Or, maybe Chicken.

My thoughts were that as we designate equipment there would be a limited gallonage that those components could accomodate, and that would determine the resulting stocking level possible.

When components and characteristics are determined, there would be a maximum stocking level shown to be prudent for the pond and the way that it works as a minimum pond, so that THAT mistake is covered ahead of time.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Minimums
    EPDM
    12ft long x 5ft wide x 4.5ft deep..whatever the gallonage
    1 bottom drain
    1 no niche skimmer
    A rectangular liner pond? Underlayment? Carpet OK?

An aerated bottom drain? 4"

Mick: I think Luke's dimensions are a reasonable starting point. But I have to note that if the pond is in Florida and in full shade, it could be more shallow. If it is in Maine, it will need to be deeper ...or a second indoor pond is needed (which does not fit your 'minimal' guideline). ...BTW, let's think in terms of a pond for some nice males.

1 bottom drain, 1 skimmer, 1 water pump, 1 airpump, 1 liner, 111 blocks (JK), 11' by 5' by 4' deep......

maybe just 1 koi....

more to follow

Jumbo
    So, Luke's dimensions come out to about 2000g and Bob's at about 1650g. This would start to answer the stocking questions, if we thought we were there already, wouldn't it. Throw JR's 250g per into the formula, temper it with MikeM's wise suggestion of "maybe males" and I can see five males in this pond (not 6.6). Three females instead?

You guys thinking liner in the ground? Is that OK for minimum? (With 111 blocks around it on the ground.) (jk, Bob)

Mike, there's only outlaw koi in Maine, man.

Daihonmei
    I say, paint the friggen house first! JR

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    I say, paint the friggen house first! JR
    jasper,
    Mitten believes in "No maintenance" structures...you paint it once and you paint it forever...now it is a "nice" gray.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast