Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sakai Seminar 2008

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    I see from the website he gives appraisals, can one bring fish over for him to appraise?
    Actually he does not give appraisals, part of his philosiphy is "A good understanding accompanied by trained eyes to see, appraise and select makes it possible to evaluate the present value, as well as, the future potential of Nishikigoi".

Honmei

Update on Pins!

Here is the correct spelling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sakai Seminar 2008-pskoi__010708.jpg  

Honmei

Seminar Topic

I just recieved another idea for a topic. It is as follows;

Mr. Sakai has mentioned before that he knows and believes that hobbiests can get the same Koi growing results in their own ponds as he achieves in muds in Japan. My subject is simple. How can this be done? I think it would lead to better understanding and learning if hobbiests can achieve this feat in their own ponds.

Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    I just recieved another idea for a topic. It is as follows;

Mr. Sakai has mentioned before that he knows and believes that hobbiests can get the same Koi growing results in their own ponds as he achieves in muds in Japan. My subject is simple. How can this be done? I think it would lead to better understanding and learning if hobbiests can achieve this feat in their own ponds.

Keep them coming.
    Hey Russell, I don't think that this is possible. There's no way that a small closed system can compete with a Japanese mud pond that is acres in size. I would definitely be interested in what Mr. Toshio has to say regarding this topic.

What is the concensus among American hobbyists? Is this possible?

I do it every year with my tosai

It's called pond volumn, heat,oxygen and feeding the right foods at the right temperature.

The biggest problem most hobbists have is they have one facility to fit all. and that simply will not work. Boys and girls have different needs as do the fish at different ages/stages in their life. Mixing them even with light stocking levels will work against you.

I do think a happy medium can be found but it involves high water quality and learned use of temperature and quality feeds. If you can have just girls,
    and your pond residents are within a year or two of each other in age that will smooth things out.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Hey Russell, I don't think that this is possible. There's no way that a small closed system can compete with a Japanese mud pond that is acres in size. I would definitely be interested in what Mr. Toshio has to say regarding this topic.

What is the concensus among American hobbyists? Is this possible?
    In general, like Dick has mentioned pond volume makes a big difference. There are many factors that come into play when growing koi to their size potential. I know in my pond I can grow a koi to a max of probably 24-25" inches. I have known some hobbyists who have grown koi to 28 inches in a 2500 gallon pond. That hobbyist was using extreme feeding regime and water quality to get the fish to that size.

Nisai
    A good question I'm sure is asked by all "home grown" breeders. My question would actually be what are the water measurements, pH, KH, GH, salinity, and oh yeah, what do they feed them? (except possibly frogs, what did he do with the bag of frogs from Hosikai's??

Ed

Jumbo
    It is possible.
    I know that hobbyists can get the same Koi growing results in terms of length and volume (but it would not same in terms of luster/sheen and bone structure.) in their own ponds as he achieves in mud ponds.
    In general, he needs lots of new supply water......a lot.. and there are plentiful grand water (free of charge) available in most area of Japan.

Honmei
    There are a lot of factors involved in achieving good growth. Mr. Sakai has pressed over and over again that it is very important how one feeds Koi to get growth. Feeding too much at the wrong time does keep Koi from optimum growth. There are other factors as well that I am sure he will discuss.

Update.....

I am limited in my reading time this week. Can you please post the date, cost, time and all details for Sakai Seminar 2008 that you speak of so I can see if I can get it to fit into my calendar.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast