Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sakai Seminar 2008

Honmei

Cool Sakai Seminar 2008

We have received several request for seminar topics so far and they have been forwarded to Mr. Sakai. The response was "Excellant". If you have any question you would like answered or any topics discussed please feel free to post them here or e-mail us at [email protected].
    Here are the requests submitted so far;

1). Shiroji - What are the different types (for Sakai Koi) and what do you look for starting at Tosai?

2). Water Quality - What parameters are best for Mr. Sakai's Koi to reach their fullest potential? Does it change wioth each season?

3). Condition - When there is good growth in Mr. Sakai's Koi during the summer months, what do you look for in the beni, shiroji and sumi to indicate whether or not it is week and failing or if the quality is good but the condition is down? Describe and show the four seasons of his Koi.

4). Quality - Discuss elastic and soft beni, showa sumi, sanke sumi and the different bloodlines he uses including magoi.

5). High Quality Tosai and Nisai - How can one tell if it is a finished Koi or if it is a very high quality Koi and will continue to improve? A lot of Koi that come to the US look very nice but after a year or so the condition goes down.

6). Water Quality - Are there different water quality parameters needed for growing Koi as opposed to finishing Koi?

7). Mud Ponds - There are times when a Koi needs to be allowed time out of a mud pond and spend time in a cement pond. What are the signs that this needs to be done? Is there a point that a Koi will no longer benefit from growing in a mud pond? How does one recognize this?

Keep them coming.
    Last edited by Russell Peters; 12-20-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Russ

Very good questions indeed. A lot of forethought went into several of these. I think if Mr Sakai answered all these questions it would fill the entire weekend, but we would certainly gain a lot of info/ammo to take back with us to apply to our own situations. Can't wait for this seminar. BTW, have a great time at the AJKS next year.

Mike

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Russ

Very good questions indeed. A lot of forethought went into several of these. I think if Mr Sakai answered all these questions it would fill the entire weekend, but we would certainly gain a lot of info/ammo to take back with us to apply to our own situations. Can't wait for this seminar. BTW, have a great time at the AJKS next year.

Mike
    Thanks Mike.

Jumbo
    Hi, Russell. I can answer all of the listed topics, but it would be wrong...

5) made me a bitter smile.... I am not talking about Sakai-san & you, but in generally, majority breeders & dealers are selling & buying that' type of kois due to a market demand, etc.
    A long term with real strong potential koi is often looks ugly... Who would be happy to spend several hundred or more $ for 6-10" of small "ugly looking" tosai, for example.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Hi, Russell. I can answer all of the listed topics, but it would be wrong...
    5) made me a bitter smile.... I am not talking about Sakai-san & you, but in generally, majority breeders & dealers are selling & buying that' type of kois due to a market demand, etc.
    A long term with real strong potential koi is often looks ugly... Who would be happy to spend several hundred or more $ for 6-10" of small "ugly looking" tosai, for example.
    I know very well that you could supply answers for all of the above.

The type of Koi in 5) (the last part) will not change until people become more aware and patient. I think that the MOST difficult part in Koi keeping is patience.........waiting for the Koi to develop.

Honmei
    Junichi, have you met Mr. Sakai?

Jumbo
    I see.... That would be a different idea/attitude, maybe. the most difficult thing may be to find out a real potential small female tosai/ake nisai...
    at the same time the most interesting part in Koi keeping is to wait patiently for it development. .....simply saying, a good one remains/last longer while a poor one won't......

I missed Sakai-san. If my memory is correct, he came up a few times in my area but unfortunately I did not have a time to meet him.

Great potential seminar topics, Russ! Golly, I am already worried that my brain will explode and that I will have writer's cramps when I attend this seminar. Please keep all of us posted on seminar topic updates as I, and maybe a few other individuals who will be attending, would like to do our homework before we attend "class".

Sansai

"the Plug"

Russ-What a wonderful opportunity for koi kichi types! Sakai-san is a great teacher with his number one interpreter, Agnes, translating each word properly for our ears to understand. Those topics listed would easily fill many hours let alone topics not listed, for which I'm sure there are many, such as parent koi pairing for anticipated result and how long it takes to identify those results.

Now for "THE PLUG" a second Sakai seminar September 13th, 2008! For those interested, PNKCA (Pacific Northwest Koi Club Association Pacific Northwest Koi Clubs Association) with 15 member clubs will put on our 24th annual convention hosted by NIKK (North Idaho Koi Keepers North Idaho Koi Keepers) in Post Falls/Couer d' Alene, Idaho. Included in our event, along with the Sakai-san seminar will be several koi kichi vendors on display along with presenters Mat McCann-Dick Benbow-and several other prominate Judges and vendors attending. If Saturdays seminars doesn't get you excited how about a 3 hour banquet dinner cruise around Lake Couer d' Alene Saturday evening. There is a really cool raffle/auction item that will be presented during Saturday's banquet, a float plane ride on Sunday so you can see the beautiful landscape from the air. Much more going on in addition to listed activities, so if you would like to sign up, go to our PNKCA web site to find all info and registration forms.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjols View Post
    Russ-What a wonderful opportunity for koi kichi types! Sakai-san is a great teacher with his number one interpreter, Agnes, translating each word properly for our ears to understand. Those topics listed would easily fill many hours let alone topics not listed, for which I'm sure there are many, such as parent koi pairing for anticipated result and how long it takes to identify those results.

Now for "THE PLUG" a second Sakai seminar September 13th, 2008! For those interested, PNKCA (Pacific Northwest Koi Club Association Pacific Northwest Koi Clubs Association) with 15 member clubs will put on our 24th annual convention hosted by NIKK (North Idaho Koi Keepers North Idaho Koi Keepers) in Post Falls/Couer d' Alene, Idaho. Included in our event, along with the Sakai-san seminar will be several koi kichi vendors on display along with presenters Mat McCann-Dick Benbow-and several other prominate Judges and vendors attending. If Saturdays seminars doesn't get you excited how about a 3 hour banquet dinner cruise around Lake Couer d' Alene Saturday evening. There is a really cool raffle/auction item that will be presented during Saturday's banquet, a float plane ride on Sunday so you can see the beautiful landscape from the air. Much more going on in addition to listed activities, so if you would like to sign up, go to our PNKCA web site to find all info and registration forms.
    PSKoi will be attending the PNKCA event.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast