Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: process of Pellet food? is it clean?

Fry

process of Pellet food? is it clean?

Hi, guys.
    I saw lots of koi food in plastic sealed bag, and it makes me think of whether they are cleaned enough, normally I saw not branded koi food in clear plastic, there seem to be lot of residue and colour are red or green, it it clean, does anyone know how it became pellet format if wheat are used.

1. do they cook the ingredients or is it raw
    2. theyput preservatives?

The best rule I can give for buying Koi food is to check the ingredient list well and look for the date it was milled. Most of the better foods are not packaged in clear plastic bags as sunlight degrades many of the vitamins. Freshness and quality ingredients are the key to good food.

Do not know what you saw, so it is difficult to comment.

Pellet foods are cooked. The process destroys some of the vitamins and other nutrients. For that reason, the better brands of koi food have supplemental vitamins etc.

Jumbo
    Legally, they are clean, until some massive die off occur upon the consumption of a partitcular brand of food.

You have to take them with a bucket of salt. Myself for one, don't have
    the least trust that they are clean even by field rat's standard. Just for the kick of it, in all bags of the 'silkworm' based food I bought for my koi this year, they all come with dead bugs, and the pellets have sign that the bugs have enjoyed their last meal. I paid for the pellet, and the bugs are free, and it is up to me to give them to my koi.

stan

Fry
    how are the foods cook, boiled or steamed

Oyagoi
    If floating feed, cooking is done with steam during extrusion.

If sinking feed, cooking of some ingredients is done prior to mixing and pelletizing.

Re-baggin could result in contamination. I always buy feed in the original container.

In Texas, animal feeds are at least as clean as human foodstuffs, maybe more so. They are highly regulated.

The one time I got contaminated feed it was very subtle. At the time I was using about 250,000 pounds (125 tons) of fish food a day. That is about 3 eighteen wheelers full. Feed was stored in huge bins holding about 80 tons each. Trucks came and went at all hours, from Mississippi feed mills.

I took a sample from every truck and stored it in a locked closet. I thought someday I'd get poison fish food and kill all the fish, then find the poison in the sample.

What happened, the processed fish in the plant would go bad in about two days at 34 degrees F. It should have kept a week or more.

Long story short, the feed was not contaminated, it was insuffecient nutritionally. The Mississippi mills, to protect thier own catfish industry, had sent us feed with no fish meal and no vitamin pack.

Vitamin deffeciency had made the fish rot too quickly.

The lawsuit was in place when the operation went under (I was long gone, raising koi by then).

Brett
    Brett

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty99 View Post
    Hi, guys.
    I saw lots of koi food in plastic sealed bag, and it makes me think of whether they are cleaned enough, normally I saw not branded koi food in clear plastic, there seem to be lot of residue and colour are red or green, it it clean, does anyone know how it became pellet format if wheat are used.

1. do they cook the ingredients or is it raw
    2. theyput preservatives?
    WAit we are talking about an animal that spends half its day sucking in muck

Daihonmei
    And finally, although koi pellets can be moldy and dangerous from being wet in storage or because rich koi foods ( rich in protein and fat) can absolutely go rancid and be very dangerous for koi, 'dirty' food is not a problem! I can put that into perspective by simply pointing out that koi, as a carp, love nothing more than rooting in mud- the ultimate 'wet dirt'! JR

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    And finally, although koi pellets can be moldy and dangerous from being wet in storage or because rich koi foods ( rich in protein and fat) can absolutely go rancid and be very dangerous for koi, 'dirty' food is not a problem! I can put that into perspective by simply pointing out that koi, as a carp, love nothing more than rooting in mud- the ultimate 'wet dirt'! JR

Casper,
    I beat you to it by seconds..ya copy cat