Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long have you been in koi?

This will be my 18th year. I started off with 3 koi, they're all still alive but I sold 2 of them last November when I had to close in my big pond.

I rebuilt my pond 3 times, going from 14x19x2 to 19x25x4' complete with bottom drains and a skimmer. I built the pond and all filtration myself.

I had 5 ponds during most of those years. Now I have an above ground 3300 gallon pond with 11 koi ranging in size from 16"-28", most about 22". I built this pond and all the filtration also. It's set up on a semi-flow through until I can build my new pond, hopefully this year.

I've learned more about koi and ponds in the last 4 years than I ever thought possible but I'm still very uneducated.

Nisai

Looking for...

CarolinaGirl,
    Looking for woman that likes koi, please send picture of ponds.

Ed

Jumbo
    My memory start..... I was swimming in the pond of my parental home along with Gosanke, Ogon, Asagi and Magoi, etc in a summer time of early '60's..

What time is it?

The Pond Digger

Daihonmei
    In the Summer of 1962 I wandered away from the house and XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX, I'm guessing xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx, catching sunfish that were less than two inches and small black catfish in the ditch.
    I brought at least one of the sunfish home alive and placed it in the water that had dripped from the Window air conditioner and pooled, with green moss around it.
    I remember a real, but light, purple on the Sunfish. It died in minutes.

My first koi.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    In the Summer of 1962 I wandered away from the house and found two older boys, I'm guessing they were second or third graders, catching sunfish that were less than two inches and small black catfish in the ditch.
    I brought at least one of the sunfish home alive and placed it in the water that had dripped from the Window air conditioner and pooled, with green moss around it.
    I remember a real, but light, purple on the Sunfish. It died in minutes.

My first koi.
    What happened to the boys?

Daihonmei
    what boys? check the post...I didn't say anything about "boys"
    ( I forgot there is no statute of limitations for Murder In Alabama.)

started in aquariums seriously at around 7, went thru goldfish, various live bearers, egg layers, angels, african ciclids, discus. Went into the Service and assigned to a radio station in Japan. came home and bought an acre and built a japanese garden and pond. So Fish basically all my life and koi 30 plus, Last coupla months have been getting interested again in fancy goldfish. It's fascinating the differences between those developed in japan and those developed in china. I find myself interested more in the japanese...tosakins, Top view ranchu. Strange I never got our of fresh water into salt. I just love the hobby and the people are fantastic
    Dick Benbow

Oyagoi
    Saw my first koi in 1967, same year I saw my first koi show (All Japan Show in Tokyo at Hotel New Otani).

Got my first koi in 1981, same year I began fish farming.

Got serious about koi in 1991, same year I began managing a corporate fishing resort.

Still struggling with koi in 2008.

41 years.

Brett

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    started in aquariums seriously at around 7, went thru goldfish, various live bearers, egg layers, angels, african ciclids, discus. Went into the Service and assigned to a radio station in Japan. came home and bought an acre and built a japanese garden and pond. So Fish basically all my life and koi 30 plus, Last coupla months have been getting interested again in fancy goldfish. It's fascinating the differences between those developed in japan and those developed in china. I find myself interested more in the japanese...tosakins, Top view ranchu. Strange I never got our of fresh water into salt. I just love the hobby and the people are fantastic
    I have not really paid attention to Tosakins but they are pretty fancy fish, aren't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-iRdK3THeY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast