Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long have you been in koi?

Honmei
    We built our first pond in 1992 and put some "coy" in it. Traveling a lot on business, I started attending shows from coast to coast around 1995ish. At one time in the late 90s I had more koi living elsewhere than I did in our pond in OKC. I had 7 in SoCal, 2 in AZ, 2 in Philly and probably some others elswhere that I forgot about.

I am guessing that I probably hold the record for the number of states that fish I have owned have lived in.

AZ, CA, OK, TX, TN, KY, PA, WI, IL, NJ

and then there are the koi that lived abroad for at least a year: Japan, England

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

I bought a house in 1983 with a giant 500 gallon pond. My wife said "clean it up." that's one way to start killing fish. I went to a ZNA Orange County koi show to try to fix the problem. I met Ron Patterson(remember him?) and Joe Cuny (remember him also?). Joe helped me redo my filtration. Tore out the pond, which was amzazing because the guy who built it was a cement contractor for the tract I lived in. That means he put curbing scraps()behind the lava rock waterfall. Ever torn out curb pieces? we actually broke the bit on a 110 pound hammer. Nine years ago we bought our house in Fountain Valley, Ca and i finally built a real pond. It's over 13,000 gallons.
    Next part of the quiz:what "credentials" do you have. I bet many bitio people have done all kinds of crazy stuff for this hobby.
    Full Time Koi NUT
    SoCal beats NorCal KOI UNIT
    Mark W
    CKHPA

Hello Mark . . .

Joe Cuny was listed as the Editor of KoiUSA magazine in the Mar/Apr 1988 issue; have more mags to review to find exactly out when he began his 'tour of duty.'

Ron Patterson took over from Joe; he was first listed as the Editor in the May/Jun 1988 issue.

Joe replaced Ron for another stint as Editor (May/Jun 1992 issue).

And you replaced Joe as Editor (Jan/Feb 1994 issue).

How'd I do?

I started keeping fish when I was about 10(I am 38 now.) I have been in the saltwater/reef hobby for 17years. I have been keeping koi for about 8-9yrs. When I bought my house, I purchased 3 koi before I even moved in!!! They were kept in plastic containers in my apartment. Then I moved into my 1st house and started digging the next morning. I still keep a 90gal reef, but I consider koi my primary hobby. I also have two ryukins, just for fun. I absolutely love this hobby, as it can be enjoyed on so many levels.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

My first

In the back of the Olds 'Vista Cruiser' at the drive in, Ben Hur was...............Oh ,sorry

Don,
    Are you stalking me? Ron was the longest editor except perhaps Joyce. You didn't share your "highlights".

Quote Originally Posted by 111whalen View Post
    Are you stalking me?

Quote Originally Posted by 111whalen View Post
    You didn't share your "highlights".
    Which highlights would that be, Mark? I've still got lots of gaps in the mags I've abstracted and the photos I've scanned, but I'll be glad to check for you.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    In the back of the Olds 'Vista Cruiser' at the drive in, Ben Hur was...............Oh ,sorry
    I am beginning to worry a little, it seems our minds are somewhat alike.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123