Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long have you been in koi?

How long have you been in koi?

How long have you been doing this crazy hobby? Are you obsessed with koi? Any other tid-bits? I will respond tomorrow.

well, I have had koi for about 7 or 8 years. My koi lived overcrowded in a 1200 gallon water garden. Up until November 2004, I did not realize what koi actually were; I sort of thought they were just pretty little garden pond fish. November 2004 I went my first koi show and saw REAL koi. That's when I decided that I wanted a real koi pond....one that was capable of growing koi big and maintaining them. So I started researching and then building it myself and in March 2005 (after the orlando show) the first group of koi went in. These were a group of culls that were gifted to me. I have since passed some of them on to other new hobbiests, but I still have 2 of them. I have added many more koi and culled out all of my original koi. I am still in the process of upgrading my collection (I guess that is a never ending process). I am also planning to build a new koi pond. The current one is 9000 gallons. The new one will be around 18,000 gallons. I also have a 3000 gallon pond that used to be for water lilies....now I use it to grow out koi. There is also a 1300 gallon pond and two 300 gallon Q tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 111whalen View Post
    How long have you been doing this crazy hobby? Are you obsessed with koi? Any other tid-bits? I will respond tomorrow.
    bought my first koi in the early 70's,but still don't know diddly about koi.

Honmei
    2 Days, 12 hours, fifty two minutes and 31 seconds..........32..33..34

I have been in koi since July/August of 2006 (approx 16 mos) when I first attended the Northwest Koi & Goldfish Club Show held annually in Portland. I was so amazed that I came home with about 10 tosai that were in the 1 for $35 or 4 for $100 vats. I didn't have a pond then, so I kept it at my father-in-law's 3,000 gal pond. Several 24-packs and weeks later, I had my DIY ~7,500 gal backyard pond completed. Since then, I have joined the NWKG club, is a ZNA member, and my koi knowledge has slightly improved. I participated in my first koi show this past fall and did pretty well....for a novice. I hope to one day (hopefully several years down the road) attend the fall Japanese koi harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    2 Days, 12 hours, fifty two minutes and 31 seconds..........32..33..34
    Golly Russ, you are just a rook!

I have been doing this crazy hobby for about 2 years now....I have to say that alot has changed in those 2 years... j/k....

1989 built my pond, started buying koi from Douglas Fish Farm in 1990. Douglas was an old Japanese man who bred very nice Aka Matsubas and Asagis...Man did I have alot of Asagis in my pond for awhile, it was a good study...

Started buying "Japanese koi" in 1998 from Dealers close to my house...

Daihonmei
    Long enough to know better! JR

Quote Originally Posted by 111whalen View Post
    I know Mark has been in koi long enough to look like the lead singer of TOTO in some of the old Rinkos...

Acquired my first koi in 1978. They were kept in a shallow lily pond. Got the Axelrod books, but the only koi around like those photos were Yamabuki. So, got me one. Was never without one until 2005. My main interests were in other fish until 1999, when I went to the second All Florida Koi and Pond Show (now evolved into CFKS). Koi became my main interest. I've been sliding into obsessiveness ever since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast