Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing participation in Grow-out contests...

Daihonmei

Increasing participation in Grow-out contests...

I got one way....
    Pay an additional amount...say 20-50 bucks when you buy your fish...if you stick around then you get your money back. If you don't then it becomes distributed to the ones that do..either as a rebate or prize money.

I really like that idea! A grow-out pot. I think I'd do it by number of koi bought though that way if you kill it over the course of a year you're out as well. Say $10 a koi so if 150 were sold that would be $1500 in the pot. Then say 30 koi dropped out and another 20 died then those with koi that lived and stayed in the contest would get back $15 a koi at the end.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Daihonmei
    JNorth,
    You're starting to like me aren't ya...

Prize Money

Prize money is an interesting idea. Money motivates but prestige and bragging rights in a forum/group like this ranks pretty high I have no doubt.

I'm new to the group but all and all I think the participation, at least in the picking, has been good. Definatley room for improvement but none the less it has been good.

What looks like the biggest fear of the group is the update photos and information over the year(s).

The question is - What will give the participants that EXTRA motivation to give LONG TERM participation.

Luke is presenting both PAIN & PLEASURE principles. Experience the PAIN of loosing extra money put into an inital purchase if you don't participate and on the flip side get the opportunity to Experience the Pleasures of Recieving COLD HARD CASH in prize money for long term participation.

There are some logistics to work out. Where is the money stored during the duration of the contest? One year? Two year? Three year? I'll volunteer to hold on to the extra dough.

How about at trip to NIIGATA, JAPAN to visit the breeder to pick out the prize of selecting their own koi with the training of the breeder? How can that be arranged? That would get some serious players involved! Figure out the cost of the fish including some profit for the dealer of course!

Figure out the cost to send a person (OR COUPLE) to JAPAN for an all expense PAID trip. Divide by 200 (or more) participants and create an entry fee. Since it is lottery style and the first picks have a much greater advantage there could be additional ways created for an upset from a late picker.

Kumonryu, Showa and Shiro Utsuri will most likely create the greatest possibility for an upset from a late picker.

I'm just talking to open the communications for possibilites! NIIGATA, JAPAN! Yeah, I know, I think big. Call me Kichi, or crazy, or insane. I'm used to it.

The Pond Digger
    "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    JNorth,
    You're starting to like me aren't ya...
    you do sort of grow on people Luke....

I really like this idea.

Sansai
    You know I do like these ideas, but I can only do one more grow out contest this year. I have to get these shiros out of my Qt in three months and then I will only allow 6-8 quality Koi in my main pond. I only want to keep 3-4 small koi in the small pond to grow out in the summer and then they go back inside for the winter.. I currently am looking for homes for 5 Koi. I either need a bigger pond or I'll just have to enjoy from the side lines.

Nisai
    Having the good fortune to of gone to Japan last October thanks to PSKoi and Tashio Sakai, I'll share this:
    Fligh, food, hotel, train rides to get there about $2,000.00
    Additional expense for shared vehicle to drive around, not much though. You need to go with someone who know the area and the breeders, you just don't walk in.
    For more detail go to http:///www.sfbakc.org and look under "News", then "News Letters", I've written a few articles about the trip. Nov\Dec 2007 and January 2008, and another coming out for Feb.

I think it a great idea, but collecting money after the fact may pose a problem. Better to make it a part of the next contest, right up front.
    Ed

I really like the idea also. I am also pretty new around here although I lurked here occasionally. I am in this growout for the long run. I'm not in this because I want some potentially nice fish for a discounted price. I'm in it to learn. And Iv'e got alot of learning to do. This growout encouraged me to be a member of this board and begin posting. I really like it here and Iv'e been learning alot that I wasn't learning elsewhere. This board can be intimidating to some as advanced Koi keeping topics are often discussed. In my learning process this is the kind of information that I need to advance in the hobby. I hope that many others who joined this growout have the same intention. I do understand the concern that there will be some that just want the fish and then you will never see them again. Luke's idea sounds like it will help the situation.

Daniel

Niigata Trip

The Niigata, Japan trip as the GRAND PRIZE is my idea for NEXT grow out contest.

It is my understanding that the SU's we are getting for the current Grow Out Competition would normally retail at 125.

We have 200 contestants that pay the reduced price like we have been offered by MYSTIC KOI of 75 dollars then the contestants drop 50 bucks for an entry fee.

200 contestants with 50 dollar entry fee gives the pool 10 grand to set up trips to NIIGATA for the top three contestants.

I know Mystic Koi make a couple trips a year to Niigata to select koi. I would imagine most of the quality Koi dealers do the same. Which ever dealer hosts the contest could make arrangements with the breeder to bring three winners along on a trip.

NORMAL prizes for the contest like we are contending for in this contest would still remain, provided manufactures and dealers are agreeable.

I also make a motion to request that we purchase a piece of art from Marie with the the change left over from the 10 g's raised for the Niigata trip, as one of the prizes in the contest.

I am sure there are other hurdles. What are the problems so we can develop solutions and open doors.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger

Pond Digger

I too like the idea of adding a cash pot to the next contest. There is one caviat that all must be aware of. When a dealer goes to Japan, he is there (usually) for one thing - buying a lot of fish for his spring/summer or fall/winter season. The pace at which they travel is faster than a speeding bullet so they can visit as many breeders as possible within (usually) a one week period. It doesn't leave much time for them to stand around and wait while a hobbyist goes gaga over all the fish they will see. It's overwhelming, as Beniguy can attest to -right Ed?!?!? So, most dealers don't mind if they have one, maybe two guests along, but three really cramps their style of being able to buy all the fish they need for the season. Just something to keep in mind, unless they're making this a separate trip just for the hobbyists involved. Then, the prices go up because the volume of fish purchased goes WAY DOWN and you lose the ability to get a really great deal on the fish.
    Just my two cents worth from being there 7 times.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast