Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q about Ogata...are they a breeder or a growout facility?...

Q about Ogata...are they a breeder or a growout facility?...

how can one breeder breed so many different varieties ? they buy frys from other breeders to growout in their ponds?

Honmei
    They are a breeder.

Sansai
    Both--they bring in fish from other breeders too.

Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    how can one breeder breed so many different varieties ? they buy frys from other breeders to growout in their ponds?
    They are both, that's why when you got to Ogata you need not look anywhere else because they have every variety there. They do buy fry's from other breeders to make up for what they don't breed.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    They are both, that's why when you got to Ogata you need not look anywhere else because they have every variety there. They do buy fry's from other breeders to make up for what they don't breed.
    ...which is becoming more and more dangerous as KHV becomes more of a threat in Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    ...which is becoming more and more dangerous as KHV becomes more of a threat in Japan!
    From what I have heard by dealers who buy from Ogata they have very strict testing by their sources of these fry's...

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    They breed several varieties themselves such as Gosanke, Shiro Uturi, Ginrin showa, koromo....about 30 pairs and other varieties are bred by his own subcontract breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    I wonder that there has not been any major outbreaks as dealers go from one breeder to another so they could have fish from 20 breeders . I visited the famous Korakuen garden in Okiama where they lost all the fish I was told that they would hunt for the best deal to replenish the few hundred koi they had but sometimes that can be dangerous . Myself I think it is best to stay with one or two breeders that breed their own
    Regards
    Eugene

you may have heard me use this example before but i think it's valid,

about a decade ago, a burger place in the pacific NW was found to have almost cost a young girl her life thru e-coli. People at that time, went to other places and ignored the restaurant. Many felt it would go under. But it prevailed and when tests were made by government agencies, this particular chain always was best in compliance. It wasn't long before people realized that actually because of what happened the business was now the safest place to eat in town.

I think the same can be said of any koi business that has multiple sources of stock. the ogatas' and sakai's of the world are not going to endanger their future by not being all over safe health practices. I think I'd be more concerned about once the koi left the farmer's diligent hand and went on to something less at a wholesalers or naiive dealer.

Last year I received koi from Japan and domestic, knew what safety factors were in place before i received them, qt'd them myself and have had no issues. By looking at our marketing mentality here in the U.S. you see many stores going "MEGA" because they know customers want to go to one plave and get all that they need for clothes, housewares, foods and i think travelers to japan who can find all they need in one location
    also appreciate the convenience.

I've never gotten to Ogata's but appreciate his contribution to the industry. I have been to Toshio Sakai's many times and if i don't see what I want, all you have to do is mention it and soon your seeing it. It was just this situation that made me aware that besides incredible gosanke, one could find excellent shusui, asagi,kujaku, shiro utsuri etc.
    Dick Benbow

You guys are reminding me. Are there any confirmed outbreaks of KHV in the states in the last 6 months? I know this can be tricky to talk about but I believe honesty will help all koi people in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast