Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: current market and koi hobby...

Wow, JR. You really know your stuff.

I used to have all that minus the 6 months in the bank.

Oh well, life happens and everyone has to learn how to adjust. I just hope that people don't lose their homes due to greediness, both on their part and the govt.

Jumbo
    HR, I am not putting the blame totally on the politicians. I believe you are correct that this country lives in a fantacy. At this moment, we look like a ocean carrier going straight at a torpedo. Unless we wise up, the explosion will be a pretty good one.

This country has way too many people thinking and wanting to make a fortune beating the markes, whatever market that is. I know a few who achieved that goal, and now everyone around them is trying to 'replicate the process'. God bless America.

But this whole thing does not look so bad if we manage to get China to be suckered into this holly grill of investing in the market. Sure it will cost us dearly, but it definately beat sending troop to topple the Comm. Take a look at Russia, this shouldn't be that bad.

stan

agree with everything that JR posted...

JR is one smart cookie

if there were no creative financing people wouldn't be in this mess.in 1987 i bought my house with 20% down and paid off the mortgage in 2003. to me your house is a savings account if people keep withdrawling from their house to buy boat,cars,etc...soon or later they'll be in big trouble . in the pass 2 yrs we loss over $100K of equity in our home,but i could care less if it is worth 500k or 250k.

creative financing was the reason we had a housing bubble. people just buy,buy,buy w/o thinking, causing the price to go up,up up.

i hope home price keep on sliding down, how else would my daughter's generation able to afford a home.

Great points JR, and I couldn't agree more.
    The political angles usually revolve around "feelings" rather than actual fact. There have of course been any number of exceptions that we can give anecdotal evidence to, but they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Nixon's "wage and price controls" way back when were a genuine govt intervention disaster, and Paul Volker still deserves a sound beating about the head and shoulders IMHO, but for the most part what happens to the good or bad revolves around our personal decisions compounding themselves like bad debt over time. Bad investments of "self" compound interest daily too.
    This little blip on the economic radar will likely amount to the same as 1991, which was a wobble and nothing more. It corrected itself before Clinton was even elected, but nonetheless Clinton was praised for the economic recovery before he was even sworn in. People reacted to the one who was "visible" at the time the good news came along which is unfortunately human nature. The dot.bomb was eventually laid at the feet of Bush because the mini recession hit before he submitted his first budget or made any economic adjustments either. Bush no more caused the NASDAQ crash than Clinton did, but the blame game brought the reactions anyway. The dot.bomb was a mess created by people who had invested in a theoretical economy of ideas, but no substance to back them up. If your only asset is a web page with "potential" chances are I won't be investing in you
    As far as Koi expenditures go, its like a Vegas vacation.
    You only take money you can TRULY call "disposable". If you take out a second mortgage on a roulette wheel you have problems a new President can't fix...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

The problem in my economy with the housing market falling is Katrina. Literally thousands and thousands of people here lost their homes, jobs, hospitalization and everything they owned. They literally had no place to live. Houses and later, vacant land prices skyrocketed. People were paying $200,000 more than the appraised pre-Katraina value SIGHT UNSEEN. They needed a place to live. A lot of them were elderly. Worked all their lives to pay off their home and now it's gone. They have a huge mortgage, astronomical insurance rates and property taxes and the property values have plummeted. They can't afford the notes, they can't sell because they owe hundreds of thousands of $$ more than the house is/was worth when they bought it.

So, no, I'm not happy about the real estate value plummeting because insurance, taxes, fuel, etc. are steadily climbing and our salaries and property values aren't.

Jumbo
    moi,
    I hope home price keeps going up slowly, say 2%, not down. Too many are going to loss their nest otherwise, that is a nono for society.

stan

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    This little blip on the economic radar will likely amount to the same as 1991, which was a wobble and nothing more. It corrected itself before Clinton was even elected, but nonetheless Clinton was praised for the economic recovery before he was even sworn in. People reacted to the one who was "visible" at the time the good news came along which is unfortunately human nature. The dot.bomb was eventually laid at the feet of Bush because the mini recession hit before he submitted his first budget or made any economic adjustments either. Bush no more caused the NASDAQ crash than Clinton did, but the blame game brought the reactions anyway. The dot.bomb was a mess created by people who had invested in a theoretical economy of ideas, but no substance to back them up. If your only asset is a web page with "potential" chances are I won't be investing in you
    agree !! i could of been president during the 90's and our economy would of been rosy b/c of the hi tech boom. the economy goes in cycles ,so no matter who wins the Nov election we're headed into a recession. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan View Post
    moi,
    I hope home price keeps going up slowly, say 2%, not down. Too many are going to loss their nest otherwise, that is a nono for society.

stan
    Stan
    on thee avg Ca housing will appreciate 8.50 % per yr (maybe a little more in your area) the housing bubble made the Sacto area UNaffordable to the avg couple. we live in a low income area with high home prices. that's why the Sacto area has been one of thee highest % mortgage default in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    agree !! i could of been president during the 90's and our economy would of been rosy b/c of the hi tech boom. the economy goes in cycles ,so no matter who wins the Nov election we're headed into a recession. JMO
    I hope not as this would then become world wide . The problem is the US deficits money borrowed in your name growing yearly out of control ,as they all have to be paid back even if it is by your grandchildren .
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan View Post
    HR, I am not putting the blame totally on the politicians. I believe you are correct that this country lives in a fantacy. At this moment, we look like a ocean carrier going straight at a torpedo. Unless we wise up, the explosion will be a pretty good one.

This country has way too many people thinking and wanting to make a fortune beating the markes, whatever market that is. I know a few who achieved that goal, and now everyone around them is trying to 'replicate the process'. God bless America.

But this whole thing does not look so bad if we manage to get China to be suckered into this holly grill of investing in the market. Sure it will cost us dearly, but it definately beat sending troop to topple the Comm. Take a look at Russia, this shouldn't be that bad.

stan
    China already invested their money here through US Bonds.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast