Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dead Fish

Bottom line to me JR is, on purpose or other wise, the dealer has taken advantage of a newbie. It is to bad that morality has gone away. It will bite him in the ass in the long run. (Unless there is a missing piece to this conversation.)

Dinh,
    The dealer who sold me the shiro utsuri never replaced the fish. I ended up selling the fish for less amount of money and informed the guy who bought it that it has a swimbladder problem. Eventually the fish died after 4 months under his care. I never went back to that dealer again. I learned my lesson the hard way.
    Luis,
    this should be a learning experience for you. Since you are already a member of this board try to make use of the resources that we have on this website. Ask and you shall receive.

Quote Originally Posted by gspotmc View Post
    Dinh,
    The dealer who sold me the shiro utsuri never replaced the fish. I ended up selling the fish for less amount of money and informed the guy who bought it that it has a swimbladder problem. Eventually the fish died after 4 months under his care. I never went back to that dealer again. I learned my lesson the hard way.
    Luis,
    this should be a learning experience for you. Since you are already a member of this board try to make use of the resources that we have on this website. Ask and you shall receive.
    It is a good to hear that you are not come back to that dealer again.....

Now, here is the question -- What if the dealer already explained to customer that the fish is sick, but customer just want to buy it and dealer let it go for $$.... I want to hear your voices on this quest?

--Dinh

Dinh,
    That's the customers reponsibility if the customer really wanted the koi. The dealer should ask the customer to sign a waiver. But I think dealer should not sell a sick koi regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by gspotmc View Post
    Dinh,
    That's the customers reponsibility if the customer really wanted the koi. The dealer should ask the customer to sign a waiver. But I think dealer should not sell a sick koi regardless.
    I am with you Michael...

Few years ago, a good koi buddy of mine trying to buy a sick koi (in the state of losing scales) - I tried very hard to get him out of it... The dealer also said that it is not a good buy... But he believed he has QT large enough to take care of the fish and hope the fish will recover and new scales will come back someday.... I failed to convince him....

Tosai

Sick Fish

I would like to thank everyone for their responses, . My intent of posting this email was to get some insight on my issue. I must say that the dealer did tell me that he would replace the fish and we are talking about that, I thank him for this But their are issues regarding this that I can not talk about yet because in my eyes I pre paid for a fish. It should not die in 4 days. I was told I had 2 and 3 pick of the Koi he brought back from Japan. Then it turned into 3 & 4 th pick then it turned into I can pick from Three fish.

He said the fish was still sick he would take care of it or I could take it home. He said all
    I had to do was raise the water temperature and add ElBagin raise temp to 80 degrees with .06% salt and also I did a 20 percent water change in my 500 gallon holding tank. I was raising the water but he said raise the water fast. I got it up to 80 in 2 days. I cleaned the J mats with pond water. After one day the fish was jumping, 2 days fins started getting red scales falling off, 3 days more scales and fins turning black. fourth day DEAD. I contacted him telling him this was going on. He then said I told you I would keep the fish, but he also said the fish would be alright? I don't understand why a farmer that had mad cow desease would be selling cows? He had the fish for three weeks from Japan and said they were out of quarantine.

I wrote this email to get some guidence on the issue not to be attacked. If you want to attack me it is not productive please do not attack the dealer. I just don't want to make the problem worse than it is. I see when people write mean things the tread is closed. I live my life believing all problems work out if both sides are willing.

It is 100% clear now that I should not have taken the fish. It is also 100% clear that dealers should not release sick fish because you are dealing with peoples money. I believe this issue should help dealers and myself in the future.

Thank everyone for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by luisb View Post
    I am new to the koi hobby. Is it customary for a dealer to let you take home a sick fish. I was told the fish would get better then it died 4 days later.
    Luis,
    We got your side of the story. What about the dealer? I know for a fact that a dealer will not send home a sick fish to a client not unless the client insisted. And a dealer will not tell a client that a sick fish will get better especially under a newbies care. Is there anything missing from your side of the story?
    Michael

I would like to thank everyone for their responses, . My intent of posting this email was to get some insight on my issue. I must say that the dealer did tell me that he would replace the fish and we are talking about that, I thank him for this But their are issues regarding this that I can not talk about yet because in my eyes I pre paid for a fish. It should not die in 4 days. I was told I had 2 and 3 pick of the Koi he brought back from Japan. Then it turned into 3 & 4 th pick then it turned into I can pick from Three fish.

He said the fish was still sick he would take care of it or I could take it home. He said all
    I had to do was raise the water temperature and add ElBagin raise temp to 80 degrees with .06% salt and also I did a 20 percent water change in my 500 gallon holding tank. I was raising the water but he said raise the water fast. I got it up to 80 in 2 days. I cleaned the J mats with pond water. After one day the fish was jumping, 2 days fins started getting red scales falling off, 3 days more scales and fins turning black. fourth day DEAD. I contacted him telling him this was going on. He then said I told you I would keep the fish, but he also said the fish would be alright? I don't understand why a farmer that had mad cow desease would be selling cows? He had the fish for three weeks from Japan and said they were out of quarantine.

I wrote this email to get some guidence on the issue not to be attacked. If you want to attack me it is not productive please do not attack the dealer. I just don't want to make the problem worse than it is. I see when people write mean things the tread is closed. I live my life believing all problems work out if both sides are willing.

It is 100% clear now that I should not have taken the fish. It is also 100% clear that dealers should not release sick fish because you are dealing with peoples money. I believe this issue should help dealers and myself in the future.

Luis,
    I posted late sorry about that. Anyway this is a lesson and you can just charge it to experience. You are still lucky that the dealer is gonna replace the koi as you stated.
    Michael

Glad to see you share more info.
    My friend Luis, never ever buy a sick fish again;-))

Ping me if you want to chat more or visit my pond.

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan View Post
    The inter-net is providing something that 'short circuit' the way koi business transacts. Now anyone can get a lot of advices on boards like KB, and experts like JR, for free, on koi costing up to $100K. In all cases, the advices are hell of lot more objective than one you can get from a dealer. Like JR said, most dealers today are transcator, $$$ is the target, not the koi. Since they can't provide unbiased advices, they can't charge us for that.

stan
    not to mention that dealers need to make a living too.

Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast