Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By koidud

Thread: big island pond

Tosai
    Red Bluff Ca. grew up in garden grove ,norco

big island pond

Hi All: Just thought I would send you some pictures of a pond at the Waikoloa resort north of Kona. The location is at a new mall being built . The overhead picture shows, I am guessing ,the filter and the main pond area. Towards the back of the picture you can see 3 rows of rod iron black fencing. These are walkways over the pond, so you can see it is a long pond. Enjoy the picks. kd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails big island pond-5673.jpg   big island pond-5674.jpg   big island pond-5675.jpg   big island pond-5677.jpg   big island pond-5684.jpg  

ricshaw likes this.

Fry
    You have done a great job while taking these beautiful pics, I really enjoyed the pics this pond, Thanks for sharing!

Akai-san: If you happen to be in Kona someday, perhaps you can report on how this pond has done over the 8 years since those photos were taken??

I have seen the pond in person a long time ago when the hotel was first open. It is very picturesque, but IMHO not ideal for the koi hobbiest. Its a hotel. I used to fly to Kona every week to help my dad build his homes in Kona Acres (above/mountain side of the Kona Airport). Really got to know the Big Island of Hawaii and the Kona, Waikaloa and Waimea areas. Have friends and family on the Hilo side of the island (Volcano side). There are a few koi hobbiest in Kona as well. I have not met or visited any of them yet.

I need to visit Hawaii. The koi-related sites would be an attraction. However, at the top of my list would be to visit the bromeliad nursery of David Shigii on the Big Island. He is the leading hybridizer of foliage Vrieseas in the world. Since many of his hybrids can only be vegetatively reproduced by natural offsets, recent creations can cost as much as tategoi. Much can only be seen at his nursery.

Wow, you are into bromeliads as well? I really like the fancy bromeliads, but had no idea that there was a following. I guess everything has some kind of following.

Crazy you talk about another one of your amazing interests, as I just started getting into another hobby myself. Like I need another hole in my head. I happed to stumble into my first bonsai project. I have been tending to a large Chinese jade plant growing wildly next to the entry of my home. Chinese say that jade plants close to the entry represent good fortune and money for the family. I'm glad that it is in good health (so far). After finding many Bonsai examples of jade plants on the internet, I decided "Why not start yet another hobby?" I already don't have enough time in the day to do all the important things...haha

I'm still waiting for $$$ to pour from the skies though (just kidding). We are lucky and happy to have all the opportunities ahead of us.

LOL, yes, there is a bromeliad hobby. There is a bromeliad society in Hawaii. The World Conference was held there about 2 years ago. Be careful. The bromeliad addiction can be worse than getting kichi over koi. Pretty soon you build a shadehouse/greenhouse and after a couple of years you wish you had built three times as large.