Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does hi/beni ever get better with koi growth?

Daihonmei
    THAT sounds about right to me! JR

Daihonmei
    along those lines it is interesting to picture how chromatophores set up in skin. In the shallow skin of youth, the red pigment cells lay flat and cover large areas. We see them as shallow disks on islands of beni within the 'future' hi plate.
    But as the skin become bellowy and deep, we see three dimensional units of xanthophores and erythrophores forming- the best being yellow/orange because this is a pure color ( free of black pigment) and will give way to more red as the diet and time shift the percentage of cells in favor of the erythrophores and slowly away from xanthophores. This turns out to be 'perfect aging'.
    In some individuals there can be a layer of iridophores that reflect light and create a luster to the color mass. The entire effect is a three dimensional pattern that floats on translucent skin- this is the apex of nishikigoi evolution. JR

Nice...

JR, this last post of yours.........really could be the start of a new gig for you. The poetry of your words........ I can just imagine a new documentary on 'The Passion and Wonder of Koi', on the Discovery Channel, written and narrated by our own James Reilly. Let us now just find you a producer.
    Now wouldn't that be a wonderful way to spread the love for this hobby, folks? Sharing all the scientific stuff in JR's brain? Along with some really good photography, and we have the Jacques Cousteau of Koi. Well, I think it is a good idea.

I really do not need to 'suck up' to JR, but honestly, this is great stuff to share/learn. I for one, am moved by these details.

Daihonmei
    thanks but I don't think I have that David Attenborough gold pipe gift! But I do appreciate your comments! Thanks, JR

Great topic, I would like to see this related to various water parameters as we all strive to improve our water quality what effects this has on our koi appearance and growth.

Super Kindai;
    Nice pics-the second Showa really "bloomed" in terms of beni. Mike and JR, nice. How does this relate to picking fish? Second hi on a tosai seems like a no-no to me but the book shows several examples where that is not the case. When I buy Kohakus (unlike Showa) I believe, in terms of pattern, "what you see is what you get". So I want to see the tail break, nice step pattern and good body shiro. Then theres the body which is hard to predict from a tosai. How do YOU pick young fish-especially in terms of beni?
    Full Time Koi NUT
    SoCal beats NorCal KOI UNIT
    Mark W
    CKHPA

If Junichi wouldnt mind letting us know what bloodline these are, then maybe we have a clearer understanding of development.

Does anyone have any pics of hi/beni quality getting better over time? OR of window(s) in hi areas of koi that actually fill in?

I have a funny feeling that there will not be many cases.

What about koi that go shiromuji and then somehow comeback with hi patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Does anyone have any pics of hi/beni quality getting better over time? OR of window(s) in hi areas of koi that actually fill in?

I have a funny feeling that there will not be many cases.

What about koi that go shiromuji and then somehow comeback with hi patterns.
    My Tancho scraped her face right over the tancho spot in late November '07 and it faded really bad in some places, with a couple of deep white scrapes to add to the tragedy. I thought, "Shiro Muji here we come--that was sure fast," but that's not how it went. Over the last 2 1/2 months the beni has thickened back up plus some, though the tancho spot has tightened and shrunk as her head grew (she's gained 3 inches to the 7" she was when she arrived in late November and bulked up nice). Here's the changes she's gone through, last one being taken this morning with an inset added from mid/late December after the beni renewed itself (took about a month) for contrast and comparison....

With this kind of recovery I'm thinking this tancho is gonna stay. It'll be a little bindi once she's grown out, but I bet it'll still be there....

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

I have an example but I'll have to dig out the old Instamatic photo for the original. The Instamatic photo is poor but it will show a three step kohaku that turned into a two step kohaku- the first and second steps joined together at the top of the shoulder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast