Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shower media do you use?

What shower media do you use?

what is that good, cheap, light weight shower media?

I bought a three US plastics crates, 11 x 15" x 4' long that I need to fill. Michael suggested bioballs and at this point that's my only option but they are a little pricey.

Nisai
    kntry,

According to the products page in Koi Nations, Ultimate Aquariums are selling bio balls for $69.95 for a case of 3,000 1.5 inch balls which they claim is ~3 cubic feet.

The details given are phone (248) 854-9911 or [email protected].

I have no knowledge of these guys or whether their product is good for showers, but their price seems better than some.

Daihonmei
    I use lava rock and believe it is superior to everything except Bakki, and is equal to that

thanks Roger. There's a company on eBay who sells 40 gallons of 1 inch balls for $190. This should be enough to do all three crates if I don't feel them to the top.

approximately 250, 1" balls have a surface area of approximately 21.5 sq. ft. Larger balls have less surface area.

Luke, I agree that's what I used in my shower before. the problem is it's too heavy. It was okay in the little Pepsi crates but I wouldn't be able to pick up these big crates.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    thanks Roger. There's a company on eBay who sells 40 gallons of 1 inch balls for $190. This should be enough to do all three crates if I don't feel them to the top.

Luke, I agree that's what I used in my shower before. the problem is it's too heavy. It was okay in the little Pepsi crates but I wouldn't be able to pick up these big crates.
    when are you gonna have to pick them up...i loaded mine after they were in place.

MCA
    ...and 1" bioballs have more surface per cubic foot than 1.5" bioballs. That is why I went for the 1" size.

In March I hope to have the new shower up and running. I can't really complain about the rain we are getting this week.

Luke, this pool is going to be temporary so I'll have to move them when I build a permanent pond.

I use feather rock in my showers. Nice light and super porous. Waaay better than lava rock in my book--surface area reaches right into its core from a gazillion bubble holes frothed in the volcanic glass. It's hard to find in the smaller sizes (baseball and under), but it can be cut easily with a hack saw or band saw if you need to.

Marie

The only concern I have with the "feather rock" is because the pores run all the way through some of this stuff, what happens when it clogs with debris/slough off? Seems like there would be more anaerobic material than aerobic at that point, and that ain't too good. I too am looking to add showers to my system. I just haven't decided on the best media for them. I definitely don't feel like spending the big bucks for BH media. What's everyone's opinion on using K1 or Aqua UV's Ultima tube media. Would it work efficiently? I know there's more sq.ft/cu ft than most other media on the market. Does this make sense?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Marie

The only concern I have with the "feather rock" is because the pores run all the way through some of this stuff, what happens when it clogs with debris/slough off? Seems like there would be more anaerobic material than aerobic at that point, and that ain't too good. I too am looking to add showers to my system. I just haven't decided on the best media for them. I definitely don't feel like spending the big bucks for BH media. What's everyone's opinion on using K1 or Aqua UV's Ultima tube media. Would it work efficiently? I know there's more sq.ft/cu ft than most other media on the market. Does this make sense?

Mike
    I've used mine continuously for almost 2 years now and I've had no problems with the pores getting clogged. I use bigger airy pieces for the water to gush over--some as big as, say, half a basketball--and none ever get submerged. So far everyone has stayed healthy in my pond, no major anything yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast