Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Guru's Help Please PH 9.2 Out Of The Tap

Water Guru's Help Please PH 9.2 Out Of The Tap

Question for all the water guru's, my hubby just finished a 35,000 gallon pond. Homeowner just built him a new home and pond. Pond has been filled with water, water Ph measured 9.2 OUT OF THE TAP, pond is 9.4 What would be the best course of action to get the pond PH to a Koi happy enviroment? RO? Water Softener?

Daihonmei
    get it retested by another source
    and find out what is causing it to come out of the tap at 9.2
    then maybe a better plan of action can be taken..if needed

Luke
    There are 12 houses built in this new community, all the water is coming out the same, I know a few other people who live up in that area, everyone has very high PH.

Daihonmei
    But Luke's right, you need to know what is driving the pH up. Test for hardness, calcium and magnesium separately. Does the area have wells or city water? And is it in a limestone area? JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    But Luke's right, you need to know what is driving the pH up. Test for hardness, calcium and magnesium separately. Does the area have wells or city water? And is it in a limestone area? JR
    JR
    I just called the gentleman, he said the water hardness tested at 80 PPM, the water is feed through the city municipal water supply. Bakersfield is definatley a limestone area. He will have the other two tested this week.

Daihonmei
    So I would go the water softener route but I would get a calcium test kit to see how much the calcium content of the water is effected. And he should also know his alkaline reserve when running a water softener. JR

I grew up 1 hr north of Bakersfield, and lets just say that "Hey Culligan Man" was an advertising phrase I grew up hearing a lot on the Bakersfield TV stations... Seems like most everyone needed a water softener down there.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    JR
    Got the water report from the city, Hardness 242 ppm, calcium 94 ppm, magnesium 7.4

Fry

Ph

Nancy, I've argued with our city water supplier several times. Our water comes out of the faucet at 12-13 and the other parameters similar to yours. I went so far as accusing them of killing us slowly. He reffered me to federal standards and I gave up. My KOI do very well and grow like weeds in the summer. So I am lost as to the concern. Maybe you don't have a problem after all. Your PH is lower than mine. Youngstown, Ohio
    Good filtration, good aeration, good bio, good flow = very KOI
    Randy

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by randeye100 View Post
    Nancy, I've argued with our city water supplier several times. Our water comes out of the faucet at 12-13 and the other parameters similar to yours. I went so far as accusing them of killing us slowly. He reffered me to federal standards and I gave up. My KOI do very well and grow like weeds in the summer. So I am lost as to the concern. Maybe you don't have a problem after all. Your PH is lower than mine. Youngstown, Ohio
    Good filtration, good aeration, good bio, good flow = very KOI
    Randy
    yep
    the koi might actually do well on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast