Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Fishless Cycle

Tosai

Question Fishless Cycle

Hello all!

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or maybe a proper link for the process of adding ammonia to newly setup 1000 gallon tank to cycle it

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by CazithKoi View Post
    Hello all!

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or maybe a proper link for the process of adding ammonia to newly setup 1000 gallon tank to cycle it

Cheers!
    If you wish to add ammonia easiest way is to pee in it
    Regards
    Eugene

Hello CazithKoi and Welcome to Koi-Bito . . .

Here's a link to a short discussion on why sterile cycling can actually prolong the New Pond Syndrome:
    Sterile Cycling
    JR 11 Feb 2008
    http://members4.boardhost.com/koimag/msg/1202746504.html

The short of the long of it is that completing the nitrogen cycle (using inorganic ammonia) is only the beginning; establishing the heterotrophic species that process organic waste is the flip side of the coin -- the side which is totally ignored by sterile cycling.

That being the case, sterile cycling for outdoor koi ponds is not recommended.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    Hello CazithKoi and Welcome to Koi-Bito . . .

Here's a link to a short discussion on why sterile cycling can actually prolong the New Pond Syndrome:
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Sterile Cycling[/font]

JR 11 Feb 2008
    http://members4.boardhost.com/koimag/msg/1202746504.html

The short of the long of it is that completing the nitrogen cycle (using inorganic ammonia)is only the beginning; establishing the heterotrophic species that process organic waste is the flip side of the coin -- the side which is totally ignored by sterile cycling.

That being the case, sterile cycling for outdoor koi ponds is not recommended.

That makes sense...TY....I was aware that using cycled media or pond water would be the best, but I must say I have not heard that detailed of an account of why not to use ammonia for this...thanks again...I do have access to ponds that have been set up for many years....Just getting the water from there to mine would be a chore...The QT is temporary while the pond is being built on my end....I will be installing a DIY TT...perhaps I could take that media to be used and stick it into their ponds for a bit and then use it in the TT when needed...does that sound like a good solution?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by CazithKoi View Post
    That makes sense...TY....I was aware that using cycled media or pond water would be the best, but I must say I have not heard that detailed of an account of why not to use ammonia for this...thanks again...I do have access to ponds that have been set up for many years....Just getting the water from there to mine would be a chore...The QT is temporary while the pond is being built on my end....I will be installing a DIY TT...perhaps I could take that media to be used and stick it into their ponds for a bit and then use it in the TT when needed...does that sound like a good solution?

Thanks again
    There ya go. That will speed things up considerably.

Tosai
    sounds like a plan....