Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it wise to buy from old stock

Nisai
    Hi Lau,

Where will the show be held? What time? Sounds like quite an exciting day.

Regards
    Mingaun

Quote Originally Posted by mingaun View Post
    Hi Lau,

Where will the show be held? What time? Sounds like quite an exciting day.

Regards
    Mingaun
    Mingaun,
    You need to check that event. You will be happy to be see high quality koi

Nisai
    Just thinking at the back of my head if the kois in shows are the real thing. Do people color up their kois before shows so that they look good but underneath not so good. Its like people who wear lots of make up and when u see them without one u get a shock. Thats why my wife never uses makeup much at all, stay natural

Mingaun

Tosai
    Mingaun ,

Do check out the event , since the bigger kois will be in show vats , you will be at touching distance . Trust me you will be amazed by the sheer size of these kois. The club are looking for volunteers as well.

thanks
    ts

To repost from HWong , sect of the Koi club below.

The ZNA MALAYSIA KOI FISH CLUB is pleased to annonce that the much awaited koi show shall be held as follows:

DATE: SATURDAY MARCH 29th ~ SUNDAY MARCH 30th 2008
    VENUE: MID VALLEY EXHIBITION CENTRE, MID VALLEY MEGAMALL, kUALA LUMPUR

Yes, believe it or not it is happening at the Mid Valley Exhibition Center (MVEC) next to the food court within the Mid Valley MegaMall. The official Hotel CTITEL is also in the same complex. All the restaurants are there. Its an organisers dream location.
    MVEC has 3 Halls totaling 50k sq ft. We will use Hall 1 which has an area of 17,500 sqft. If time , manpower and space permits, we may have seminars for the public.We expect to have the official opening and prize giving on a stage at the foyer of the Center.

Since ADMISSION IS FREE, we should see thousands of visitors as the Megamall has mega number of people during weekends! So for the winners going up to collect his/her prize, it will be o moment to cherish.

This year's competition will be different as kois from 30 BU up to 45BU will be judged in PVC bags. After judging they will be returned to the respective owners tanks.

We will be annuncing more edtails and events as we finalise them. So look forward to your particiapation and vist.

Nisai
    Thanks Lau

Will definitely be there!!

Mingaun

You are in for a treat. I've become "internet friends" with several of the members there, and there will be some truly outstanding Koi (and people) to enjoy.

In your earlier post you asked about "make-up". You will find that the Judges are well trained to spot anything artificial and have zero tolerance for it. Koi that go to major shows like this are only those rare examples of exceptional quality, and when you see them you will understand...

Nisai
    Thats good to know Looking forward to it.

Mingaun

Yep. Everyone should go to as many koi shows as they can. Seeing the possibilities is the starting point for learning.

Quote Originally Posted by mingaun View Post
    Should i wait for a new shipment of koi to arrive or choose whatever is at hand from my dealer. They are all Momotaro kois and not cheap. But they have been there for months and i would like to think that the best would have been taken. There will not be any new shipment in the near future.

But the real reason i am afraid is not so much choosing quality koi because if i like it then all else pales. I am thinking more about their growth. Would the few months of being in a crowded pond stunt their growth somewhat. Also added to that is the constant netting of koi for customers to see would inadvertantly cause trauma and stress which subjectively might have some toll on the growth.

What do you all think?

Mingaun
    I would buy from old dealer stock...well under these conditions:

1. The fish I was considering was in good conditions and wasnt in an over crowded pond.
    2. The condition of the fish maintained or got better since it arrived.
    3. Generally, the price should come down on older stock...that's also a good time to buy.

When new fish comes into my dealer's shop I generally wait for others to reserve what they want, the "best" fish usually comes with the most expensive price tag and for me a fish in the mid-range in quality is a far better buy.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Nisai
    Thanks aquitori

Thats food for thought!

Mingaun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12