Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it wise to buy from old stock

Nisai

Is it wise to buy from old stock

Should i wait for a new shipment of koi to arrive or choose whatever is at hand from my dealer. They are all Momotaro kois and not cheap. But they have been there for months and i would like to think that the best would have been taken. There will not be any new shipment in the near future.

But the real reason i am afraid is not so much choosing quality koi because if i like it then all else pales. I am thinking more about their growth. Would the few months of being in a crowded pond stunt their growth somewhat. Also added to that is the constant netting of koi for customers to see would inadvertantly cause trauma and stress which subjectively might have some toll on the growth.

What do you all think?

Mingaun

Daihonmei
    what you said is true

Nisai
    i hate to wait but looks like it might be the wise thing to do.

But the real reason i am afraid is not so much choosing quality koi because if i like it then all else pales. I am thinking more about their growth. Would the few months of being in a crowded pond stunt their growth somewhat. Also added to that is the constant netting of koi for customers to see would inadvertantly cause trauma and stress which subjectively might have some toll on the growth.

What do you all think?

Mingaun[/quote]
    This time of the year is a buyers market . You are not likely to to get a new shipment till next Oct . I presume you are talking high grade tosai . You can tell the size of fish when you know when born and size now to determine how big they will become I received photos and blood lines as well as size of parent fish along with age of tosai . I would not worry about netting on growth but would look over carefully for missing scales or injury .If you do not know fish it is better to take somone along who does to help you decide .
    Regards
    Eugene

Nisai
    [/quote]
    This time of the year is a buyers market . You are not likely to to get a new shipment till next Oct . I presume you are talking high grade tosai . You can tell the size of fish when you know when born and size now to determine how big they will become I received photos and blood lines as well as size of parent fish along with age of tosai . I would not worry about netting on growth but would look over carefully for missing scales or injury .If you do not know fish it is better to take somone along who does to help you decide .
    Regards
    Eugene[/quote]

Next October?? Thats crazy. I have patience but to keep my pond empty till next October is humanly impossible for someone bitten by the koi bug. Yes they are high grade tosai in the range of USD1,000. Bringing someone along might be a good idea. Need to find someone though

Mingaun

Minguan: Where are you located?

Nisai
    Mike i would have grab u along if i was in Florida but i am actually a Malaysian. Thanks for your help.

Mingaun

Tosai
    Hi Mingaun ,

There are some good place in KL where you can go koi hunting , try Sentul koi , Luke or Adrian is helpful . They have now some good Maruyama showas on sale. I can understand the impatience but do visit a few more dealers before you make the purchase. Also there will be a local Koi show come month end. There will be many koi kichis there which are more than willing to impart some knowledge and talk koi. Join the local koi club . Anyway you are on the right track by looking up this forum , the guys here are very knowledgeable and most importantly willing to share their knowledge . GOOD JOB guys !

ts

Nisai
    Hi Lau,

Nice to see a Malaysian here. Would love to participate in those events but i am very tied down with work. Will definitely give sentul koi a visit. Heard a lot of good things there. Thanks again!

Mingaun

Tosai
    Mingaun ,

The Koi show will be over the weekend on 28th till 30th. Come over and have a look , you do not need to participate as it is open to the public. I am told this year there will be a massive 92cm Kohaku kept locally since nisai , its now at 6 years , going for GC. There will definately be a lot of koi kichis around and lots of beautiful kois , some for sale on auctions later in the show.

ts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast