Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Night Feeding

Night Feeding

We have had a serious heat wave and the water heated up quite a bit so the appetite went down a bit. A few days ago I noticed the koi were very active around 8 in the evenings. So I gave them some food and once they realized they were all over it. So for the last few days I've been doing a couple of feedings after dark and they koi are loving it. Any idea of the possible downs or risks to this approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    We have had a serious heat wave and the water heated up quite a bit so the appetite went down a bit. A few days ago I noticed the koi were very active around 8 in the evenings. So I gave them some food and once they realized they were all over it. So for the last few days I've been doing a couple of feedings after dark and they koi are loving it. Any idea of the possible downs or risks to this approach?
    We havent hit the hot spells yet here in NorCal, but on those 100degree days I use to feed as late as 10pm. I havent really noticed any harm to my fish, but I did stay on top of my water changes during the week.

the only concern I am aware of is the flux in some ponds of Oxygen. When the sun goes down, plants, the good side wall algea all quit manufacturing O2 and start using it. The bigger the koi the more O2 is needed to aid in digestion of heavy meals.This is a problem with heavy stocking levels and little to no supplimental oxygen.

So if you have a state of the art pond, no plants, great waterfall, air dome, jets etc in your pond,you should be just fine.....

the fish will generally tell you in the am if there is a problem at night, they quit eating first thing in the a.m. if there is...if they're just as hungry in the am as at night then that concern is eliminated.
    Dick Benbow