Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is meant by good skin quality?

High quality skin has a lustre to it that is undeniable in even the smallest tosai. PapaBear has posted some great pics of different grades of skin quality to study. Here is my offering of what great lustre looks like on small and large tosai from a different view....

And a couple of close ups of a small (under 6") tosai's skin and scales:

Great skin glows. It's unmistakeable in pics or in person....

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Jumbo
    In general, it is said that a good skin has the feel of translucent....
    On the other hand, the Sanke (matu) has a lot of guanine pigments as if a hikarimoyo.

We can describe it by words but it's hard to find good ones.....

Nisai
    Thank you all for the pictures. I am starting to get a feel of this.

Larry, your photos of poor skin was very helpful.

I do notice a lot of you are describing the shiroji of the koi but not much on beni and sumi (Larry did mention a bit though). Am i suppose to look at a koi's shiroji first before the hi and sumi?

How does one judge the hi and sumi on a tosai for skin quality?

Super kindai, i was looking at the showa in your second photo. Notice that the kiwa is not very sharp. Am i right to say that? Does this mean that the hi is not that good?

Regards
    Mingaun

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by mingaun View Post

Super kindai, i was looking at the showa in your second photo. Notice that the kiwa is not very sharp. Am i right to say that? Does this mean that the hi is not that good?

Regards
    Mingaun

the right side (the yellow lines) is a bit weak so far, isn't it? another kiwa (the red lines) look Okay though.

In my and friend opinions, all things considered (=thickness of the head' hiban, uniformity, neri, softness, type of color,etc), "the Hi" is not that good but not too bad as for a tategoi.
    It is commonly said that there is a strong relation between hi and skin quality....
    Also, the Showa looks small by the picture but she is almost 20" nisai so we will be able to get more better idea when she become sansai this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    the right side (the yellow lines) is a bit weak so far, isn't it? another kiwa (the red lines) look Okay though.

In my and friend opinions, all things considered (=thickness of the head' hiban, uniformity, neri, softness, type of color,etc), "the Hi" is not that good but not too bad as for a tategoi.
    It is commonly said that there is a strong relation between hi and skin quality....
    Also, the Showa looks small by the picture but she is almost 20" nisai so we will be able to get more ideal when she become sansai this year.
    JunichiSan, in person can you see the stars in the middle of the scales of the beni?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    JunichiSan, in person can you see the stars in the middle of the scales of the beni?
    Tony-san. it seems like Hoshi in the beni but Sorry, I can't see it in person because the showa is in Japan at my freind breeder' pond...waiting for a mud pond next month.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post

Also, the Showa looks small by the picture but she is almost 20" nisai so we will be able to get more better idea when she become sansai this year.
    So that means a weak kiwa on one side is not necessarily bad but need to look at the koi as a whole. Is that correct? Also in a young tosai, are we to expect the kiwa razor sharp or if there are weak spots here and there it is acceptable for a young koi? I really need to know this, as i dont want to be too fussy for nothing.

BTW this has nothing to do with your Showa, i am just using it for purposes of learning.

Thanks
    Mingaun

Minguan: On the koi you are likely to see for sale, you want sharp kiwa. If you get the opportunity to see young koi before the pigment comes together, the Hi plate is pale with all edges blurred. It would be unusual for such fish to be available for sale.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by mingaun View Post
    So that means a weak kiwa on one side is not necessarily bad but need to look at the koi as a whole. Is that correct? Also in a young tosai, are we to expect the kiwa razor sharp or if there are weak spots here and there it is acceptable for a young koi? I really need to know this, as i dont want to be too fussy for nothing.

BTW this has nothing to do with your Showa, i am just using it for purposes of learning.

Thanks
    Mingaun
    As we know, Kiwa is important. Messy kiwa particularly for Kohaku often out of question.
    For Showa, there is a bit more space of "acceptable". On the other hand, a weak point will be covered, if a fish has something outstanding like a imposing body, etc. Since Kiwa and uniformity of Hi are some of principal factors to forecast the future of koi, so I won't recommend you to take a gamble.

the left picture, for example, we can see three different types of beni.
    "C" is favorable for a koi show in general. "B" is risky because it tends to be disappeared but if these scattered kiwa stick together in future, that type of beni becomes so beautiful.
    "A" (looks too dark by the picture but actually it is an orange color) is the most safe and last longer, although it takes years to be finished/colored up....

The right picture, these showas are different level and still we can see diffferent characters on each beni...

Nisai
    Super Kindai

Why do you say that "C" is suitable for koi show? Its head pattern looks heavy though, or are you only referring to the beni quality?

Mike,

I will keep that in mind. Occasionally i see kohaku with a small isolated spot of beni on the body. It is not that small but like an island by itself. Is that considered a weak beni? It is not associated near the edges of other beni pattern but is by itself.

Regards
    Mingaun

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast