Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Is this is a disease?

Nisai

Help!! Is this a disease?

I just found these polyp type things on my large showa. Any ideas what this is? How do I treat it? One polyp looks like it is empty the other yellow. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!! Is this is a disease?-img_2774.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ootyboy View Post
    I just found these polyp type things on my large showa. Any ideas what this is? How do I treat it? One polyp looks like it is empty the other yellow. Any help would be appreciated.
    At first glance it looks like carp pox, but looking more at the pics it looks like Hikkui.

How old is the Showa?

Is it only on the beni(red) of the Showa?

Is this the first time you netted up the Showa and notice the problem?

"One polyp looks like it is empty the other yellow."

In general this is a sign of Hikkui, no real cure of it.

Nisai
    The Showa is roughly 2-4 years old -- I am not sure, since I bought it from a friend last year. Yes, I can only see it in beni of the Showa near the upper fin. I inspected the fish very closely and could not find it anywhere else.

I got the fish last year, and this is the first time that I noticed the problem. I netted all the fish in the begining of winter and did not notice any problems. However, now that the weather is warming up I am seeing the issue.

The Showa is roughly 2-4 years old -- I am not sure, since I bought it from a friend last year. Yes, I can only see it in beni of the Showa near the upper fin. I inspected the fish very closely and could not find it anywhere else.

I got the fish last year, and this is the first time that I noticed the problem. I netted all the fish in the begining of winter and did not notice any problems. However, now that the weather is warming up I am seeing the issue.
    Hikkui generally starts when the fish is at 4-5 years old and you will usually find it around the dorsal fin area of the back of a koi. There isnt really much documentation on this disease and NO real cure. It will continue to eat away at the Beni....They sometimes call this, cancer of the beni.

I thought Hikui was "flat" for lack of a better term. From the pics I've seen, it looked more like dappled white spots in the HI but not raised. bumps

I noticed the same thing at the base of the dorsal on one of my Showa 2 weeks ago. I have been panicking but can't catch her right now.

I know some people have played around using a salt paste to rub the area. I don't know the long term situation but I'll find out and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I thought Hikui was "flat" for lack of a better term. From the pics I've seen, it looked more like dappled white spots in the HI but not raised. bumps

I noticed the same thing at the base of the dorsal on one of my Showa 2 weeks ago. I have been panicking but can't catch her right now.

I know some people have played around using a salt paste to rub the area. I don't know the long term situation but I'll find out and let you know.
    Hikkui is usually white to yellowish bumps. ootyboy's Showa has the looks of early Hikkui...I know of people who have used, salt paste to PP paste to billion and with no ill luck the disease just comes back. Even if the fish recovers some what, you can still see the scarring from the disease.

Is your water clear with koi exposed to brite sun at certain parts of the day? Go easy with the salt. You can rub the beni off. What is your water temps? Here is Hikui on a Momo sanke that broke my heart.

Gary, I don't know if you're asking me but my fish are in full sun. For the last 1 1/2 yrs. in a shallow 2.6" deep pond. The temps now are about 60. This fish is domestic bred and Yonsai.

I don't know what the name of this is, but I DO NOT THINK IT IS HIKKUI! I have seen this twice before this and ONLY THIS YEAR within the last three months. One fish is one of my Sanke and the other belongs to a fellow club member. His fish is only three years old. Mine is going on 5 yrs old.

Hikkui presents more like a flattish blister and usually has some color to it. What you see here are actually like gas bubbles in the epidermis. The other two fish mentioned above had several of these "bubbles" with a lot on the beni plates, but also on the shiroji. I believe, though it can't be proven, that Hikkui is a type of virus(?) and this appears more like a bacterial infection or gas exchange problem from internal to exterior of the fish.

JR, you around to help out with this?

I treated mine with mercurochrome and gave it a shot of Amycacin. It has helped, but one of the areas on the top mid-section next to the dorsal had become infected and scales were raised. These too were swabbed/cleaned with mercurochrome and seem to be doing quite a bit better. This area had no beni on it!

Mike

Nisai
    Here are a couple of other pics to help with the diagnosis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!! Is this is a disease?-img_2776.jpg   Help!! Is this is a disease?-img_2779.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast